Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Daybook Entry for Tuesday, June 11

Outside my window ... is a parking lot, but I almost wouldn't know it for all the trees. The wind is blowing lightly on this beautiful afternoon--the first non-rainy day in over a week.

I am thinking ... about how I miss my Franklin friends now that we have moved away. I'm also thinking about how glad I am today to have some quiet time, with Hubster at work and Scout with a babysitter.

I am thankful ... for Julie Andrews. Scout has moved from her Mary Poppins obsession to a Sound of Music obsession (of course I had nothing to do with that ... ha ha). So much listening so so many of these wonderful songs has made me realize that this woman whom I will probably never meet has enriched my life beyond measure. She's done the same for so many people, of course, but she's made my world better and happier and more free, and that's why I'm thankful.

In the kitchen … everything is unpacked and put away, even the baking supplies that got left in the garage and were coated with cocoa (the lid popped off) when we finally found it.

I am wearing … tan hiking pants and a t-shirt (pretty much my uniform these days). Today's t-shirt features a turtle with a hiking pole, and it says "live your dreams."

I am creating … I wish I could say "a poem" or "a story" or even "a song," but the truth is, I've been pretty focused on moving for the past week. Hubster hasn't been able to help much (because of work and night meetings), so I've done a lot of the work myself, often with Scout at home and wanting me to stop and play with her. Which of course I do. But starting today, I'm giving myself time to write in the mornings. We're finally moved in enough that I can start thinking about developing some semblance of a routine again.

I am going to … love living closer to my family.

I am wondering ... if one of my college friends no longer considers me a friend. And I'm thinking that she would be justified in not wanting to be in contact with me. I know she's probably just busy and I'm probably just being paranoid, but I still have that empty feeling in my chest--that "rejection" feeling.

I am hoping ... to start my ChaLEAN Extreme workouts again tomorrow. A relative of mine has degenerative bone disease and is having a very hard time. Because I'm a petite white girl who avoided milk for the first half of my life, I fall into the "most at risk for osteoporosis" category. Of course I've made sure to get my calcium, etc., in other ways for many years now, but I know that a major defense against osteoporosis is weight training. So I'm ready, after a 10-day break, to get back to it.

I am looking forward to ... the day when we're all settled in and there are no more boxes to unpack.

I am learning ... my way around Asheville again. :-)

Around the house … messes rule. Boxes, stuff for Goodwill, stuff yet to be put away ... they're all there, and I think they're reproducing when I'm asleep or away from home.

I am pondering ... the power of music, literature, and visual art to touch our souls in a way nothing else can.

I am reading ... lots of books to Scout, and not enough books to myself. Meanwhile, Inferno awaits ...

One of my favorite things ... is a college picture of me with my dear friend Amy. (Can you tell I'm looking through old stuff that brings up memories?) We are each holding a half-empty bottle of Boone County Strawberry Hill wine and we look as happy as we felt ... which was pretty happy!

A favorite quote for today: Scout was singing along to "Something Good," one of the songs from a sound of music. After singing the line "Somewhere in my youth, or childhood," she stopped, turned to me, and asked, "Mommy, what's childhood?"

A few plans for the rest of the week include … settling into my new little house!

A picture thought for this week:

Finally some quiet time at The Green Sage Coffee House and Cafe in Asheville

No comments:

Post a Comment