Monday, June 17, 2013

Daybook Entry for Monday, June 17

Outside my window ... are so many trees I can barely see the sky. Ah, life in my little tree-full neighborhood.

I am thinking ... about how good coffee really is, first thing in the morning.

I am thankful ... for The Sound of Music. (Yes, Scout and I are still on that kick.) Sure, it has its cheesy moments, but they are far outweighed by the wonderful music and singing. And that gazebo scene between Maria and Captain von Trapp ... I've seen it at least a dozen times in the past week, and probably twenty more times in my life, and it still renders my little heart all a-flutter.

In the kitchen … are the leftovers of a cherry crisp dessert that I made Hubster for Father's Day. It was pretty good. Scout helped me make it. It was a little sad when she tasted it and didn't like it. (It was good; she just has a problem with the texture of most fruits and doesn't like to eat berries.)

I am wearing … my jammies and an oversized sweatshirt that belonged to Hubster's dad. I normally wouldn't write a blog post first thing in the morning, but I left my journal in the car and am too lazy to go get it.

I am creating … a home. We've come a long way toward settling in. There are still pictures to hang, and we still need to find a cheap dresser, and our garage is a mess, but the house is definitely looking more and more like a home.

I am going to … work on a story today! For the first time in three weeks!

I am wondering ... why I can't wake up in the mornings. I want to wake up and work out, but it's like I'm drugged when the alarm goes off. All I want to do is snuggle up next to the Hubster and go back to sleep.

I am hoping ... we can stay in this town, in this house, for a while. Hubster's work and promotion regulations pretty much rule out staying here forever, but I'd like to be here for a full year at least.

I am looking forward to ... the week ahead. This is really pretty amazing, considering my life experience with severe depression. Depressed people don't look forward to anything, except maybe the nothingness of death. Ah, better living through chemistry!

I am learning ... to recite the entire Sound of Music movie. That was never a life goal of mine, I must admit, but it's kind of neat to have it all in my brain like that.

Around the house … the dust motes are collecting. Time to begin shifting the focus from "moving in" to "housekeeping."

I am pondering ... how Scout and I will spend the day, now that her babysitter has texted me to say her son is sick.

I am (re-)reading ... Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider.

I am watching ... nothing at the moment. But Scout and I will probably watch The Sound of Music at least once today. :-)

I am listening to ... the dishwasher running in the kitchen, and Hubster puttering around in his room. Oh ... and there's Hubster's cell phone going off. The work week has begun!

One of my favorite things ... is how Scout likes to "switch roles" with me. Lately, we'll sit on two pillows on the living room floor and she'll say "You're the little baby and I'm the big mama." She'll turn and "buckle" me into my car seat, and then ask me if I want a snack and a drink. Then, she'll ask what song I want to hear. I have to say either "Do-Re-Mi" or "My Favorite Things" because those are the only two she has memorized (so far). So the pretend-presses a button on the dash and starts singing. She tells me that we're going "to the playground, and then to Ingle's [the grocery store], and then home." When we get to the "playground," she tells me that I need to leave Froggie in the car so he doesn't get dirty. Then she slides open the pretend van door and "unbuckles" me, and then we play on a pretend playground. (We do go to "real" playgrounds with the weather is nice!)

A favorite quote for today: Here's another one from Emerson: “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

A few plans for the rest of the week include … finishing up some paperwork on the sale of our house, planning the week's meals, cleaning up around the house, exercising, planning a visit to our old town so Scout can see her old friends and I can hang out at my old coffee shop, and planning a visit to my sister's (30 minutes away from our new house) so Scout can play with her cousin Ella.

Pic O' Week:
From a year or so ago ... one of the first words Scout learned to spell.
It's where we'll be going for Phase I of our road-tripping family-visiting vacation.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part: "One of my favorite things ... is how Scout likes to "switch roles" with me." I love this!

    ReplyDelete