Sunday, May 19, 2013

Five Years

Five years have passed. Five long, crazy years have passed since we left Maggie Valley and moved to the little town of Franklin, North Carolina, so I could be closer to the job I loved so much. Five years have passed since Hubster and I made perhaps the biggest mistakes of our marriage: leaving Maggie Valley before selling our house there, and buying a house in Franklin. Heck, hindsight tells us now that leaving Maggie Valley and moving to Franklin was a mistake in itself, all housing SNAFUs aside.

Except.

Who knows if Scout would have been born if we'd stayed in Maggie Valley? Maybe she would have, maybe she wouldn't. I have no way of knowing.

I've also made some very good friends here in Franklin. I will miss them, but Facebook makes everyone a click away, so I'm not as sad as I might have been in the pre-Facebook days.

Five years. These have been a difficult five years. They have aged me; for the first time in my life, I look my age, sometimes older. They've thinned me down. I don't know how or why, but I often look downright frail, with hollow cheeks and such. I've been actively working to gain weight while maintaining a decent weight-training regimen. Kind of a challenge.

For four of those five years, I was a technical writer. For two of them, I was an adjunct English instructor. And for three of them, I've been a mom. That motherhood thing has been harder than I ever imagined, but (and I know this sounds cliche) I wouldn't trade it for anything. Baby Scout, who is now almost three and a half, is the best thing that ever happened to me and Hubster, and in so many ways.

Five years. In five years I have managed to find a medication cocktail that works for me. My moods no longer swoop wildly, and I can actually depend on myself to function from day to day.

Five years. Five hard-as-hell, life-changing years.

I'm glad we're leaving this place. I'm ready to head down a new path.

1 comment:

  1. Wherever you are going, I pray it is full of beautiful adventure and daily joy!

    ReplyDelete