Friday, December 7, 2012

It's Morning Time ... Cock-a-doodle-doodle-doo!

On the rare occasions that our kid wakes up before we do, she comes into our bedroom and announces, "It's morning time! Cock a doodle-doodle-doo!" She repeats it over and over until one of us gets up. Cutest thing in the whole world.

But she usually isn't the first one up. I am. I get up at 5:00 a.m. when I can, but usually it's more like 5:30 or 6. I need my writing time. Chalene encourages me to work out first thing in the morning, and I know I should because it would make the rest of the day so much easier, but ... I need my writing time. And my brain wants me to write in the mornings. So that's what I do.

My, has life changed since I was last blogging here--and since I was last blogging, period. I feel a little bit like I've been in a tornado for the last few years and have just been spit out into some strange land, only there's no yellow brick road leading to anywhere. So where do I go? My heart (or whatever) is screaming, "Write! Write! Write!" So I've been writing. Mostly poetry, but some ideas for stories, too. But even those ideas end up coming out as poetry. It's like I have this aversion to wasted words, and a poem represents the ultimate economy of words. Perhaps I got this aversion from years of tech writing and composition teaching ... or perhaps it's my effort to save every last bit of this life I have. Honestly? I think it's the latter, though all that professional stuff hasn't hurt.

Speaking of professional ... I'm no longer a professional. After years of bopping from one professional job to another, I am now a stay-at-home. I've been a stay-at-home since October, and I don't know when or if I'll be able to go back to work. It hasn't been good for us financially, but it's been good for me mentally. For the first time in five or more years, I actually feel relaxed.

So, what am I doing now? Trying, with some success, to be a good mom to my almost-three-year-old. Trying, with a little success, to start my own little health-and-fitness business in partnership with Beachbody. Trying, with more success, to get physically and mentally healthy after years of self-neglect. Trying to make sense of it all, as my profile reads. I'm not there yet, but maybe this blog will be of help in doing that. If it is to be done at all.

And that's it for this post. Not because I'm ready to stop, but because my little rooster is finally awake. More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment