Thursday, June 2, 2011

Taking a Break

School is over for the week, and I have a few minutes before I need to be at work. Time for a little writing.

Life is going splendidly. Things aren’t necessarily easy, and my smaller salary has made for some creative family budgeting, but things are good. I’m happy. I’m sure the antidepressants have a lot to do with that, but I’ve also been able to spend a lot more time with Miss Anne this summer. That’s been the best part.

Miss Anne is almost 18 months old now and is reaching new heights of cuteness every single day. She’s talking. I can’t understand a lot of what she says, but she’s definitely talking. She points to the light and says “liii” when she wants me to turn the light on. She points to the door and says “cat” when she hears the cat scratching at the door. (This helps me because I never hear it.)

She’s become an expert at saying “more” (actually, “mo”). She loves Elmo and alternately calls him “Elmo,” “Mo-mo,” and “Mo.” (I think she just likes to say “mo,” maybe because her best friend's name is Mo.) She’s saying a few two-syllable words now, where the syllables aren’t simply repeated (such as “Daddy”). At night, before bed, I’ll rock her and she’ll reach up to my face and point to my eyes, ears, nose, mouth, chin, cheeks, neck, and hair, and say, “Eye. Ear. No’. Mou’. Chin. Chee. Neh. Hah.”

It’s the sweetest thing.

She’s also putting her sandals on all by herself and is getting better at putting on her pants. If I help her a little with the legs, she stands and pulls them up on her own. Brilliant, huh?

She loves to dance. She loves to play the piano. She’s awesome.

So, yes, life is good.

School is going well, too. It’s been hectic, but not as hectic as I imagined it would be, considering the class (an eighteen-week freshman comp class squeezed into five weeks). It’s hard to believe the “semester” is nearly over and that I’ll be teaching class #2 of the summer (“Writing about Literature”) in a couple of weeks. Guess I ought to start working on the syllabus for that one, huh?

That’s about it for my update. I’m off to work now. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling better, more content. Life has a tendency to be crazy, but if you can combine it with good, I think you've reached success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your update! So glad you're having fun with Anne and enjoying your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this upbeat, happy update. And Anne attempting to dress herself? Bravo!

    You should post video of her playing with the piano - so sweet! Love musical, bookworm babies!

    ReplyDelete