Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Some Thoughts. Nothing Special.

It’s Wednesday afternoon and almost time to go to the office. I’ve been up since 5:00 this morning.

I have a love-hate relationship with waking up that early. I hate doing it, but I love the way I feel for the rest of the day.

When I started this teaching gig, I told myself that I would not get up at ridiculous hours to do school stuff the way I did when I taught high school. How many times did I go to bed at 1 a.m., only to wake up at 4:30 to finish planning my five classes for the day? No wonder I was an unresponsive mess by the time that year ended.

(Note I lasted one whole year. Yep. Just one. Now you know why.)

This morning, all I needed to do was finish making a worksheet I wanted us to go over in class. We used that worksheet a few hours later, and students told me that it really helped them. While I’m glad I had it ready for class, I can’t make a habit of losing sleep in order to do “just that one more thing” to make class go perfectly.

I love teaching. I love having two part-time jobs. I love the way my workday is broken up into two halves, two places, two lives. I love having limited time in which to do things; I get so much more done. I don’t have any sense of having wasted my time this summer, at either my teaching job or at my tech-writing job. It’s been good.

Strangely enough, despite the back-and-forth nature of my new life, I’m rested and relaxed at the end of the day. I feel like I have time to breathe. Anne and I have the most delightful evenings, playing and laughing and dancing and visiting the neighbors. Because I’ve limited my work hours, I’m leaving the office earlier and having time to really cook, and not just use the recipes in the “Superfast Suppers” section of Cooking Light. It’s been good. Something about this new life clearly agrees with me.

This seems to be yet another pointless blog post. So I guess I’ll end it here and head to my tech-writing job. I’m very excited about work these days because I’m getting to learn the ins and outs of SharePoint. Fun, fun! (Really!)

Hope you’re all having a good week, dear readers!

3 comments:

  1. It's crazy how much a person can fit into their day when they block their time, isn't it? I always wonder how people get so much done, and then I do it and it just kind of happens.

    Getting up early is just weird for night owls. I do it all the time with my current job, out of choice, but it's weird. Sometimes it just feels like it's 5:30am all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that I get more things done when I'm pressed for time. Maybe it's the urgency of knowing that this fifteen minutes (or whatever) might be the only time I have to write all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nina,

    I'm finally catching up on all my favorite blogs. It's sounds like you're having a wonderful summer and some nice changes to it too! Sweet Miss Anne blows me away with her learning. What a special gift from God you have with her! Praying you continue to have a special and treasured summer!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete