After that hike, we headed up to Wayah Bald, since it was a gorgeous day and the views promised to be spectacular.
And they were. (We remembered the camera this time!)
|View from Wayah Bald Observation Tower|
Anne and I walked the path to the tower. In front of us is a northbound AT thru-hiker; there were lots of them in town this weekend. The two guys in front of him are Chili and Pepper, friends of ours who are hiking from Springer to Damascus (about 500 miles) right now.
Anne was more interested in exploring the rocks and grass than she was in walking up the hill. No, I'm not picking my nose in this picture. I think I'm biting my fingernails. Attractive, huh?
Dan and Anne taking in the view.
|Is her Eagle Scout daddy teaching her to use a compass already?|
Waterfall (me), Scout (Anne), and Chili on Wayah Bald
This morning, it was time for the hikers to go back "home" to the Appalachian Trail. I dropped Chili, Pepper, and Hopeful (a thru-hiker and an old friend who stayed with us all weekend) at Winding Stair Gap before taking Anne to her sitter's for the day.
|Anne and Chili (her new best friend) at a chilly, windy|
Winding Stair Gap. (Happy 12th birthday, Chili!)
|Chili, Anne, and Pepper|
|Hopeful prepares to hit the Trail again.|
|Anne helps Chili ready his pack (She's trying to|
give him a tube of hand sanitizer!)
|Anne and her second-favorite "Grandpa," Hopeful|
|Me, Hopeful, and Anne. Time to say good-bye.|
251. cold breezes on warm days
252. thru-hikers (my tribe)
253. clear days where you can see forever
254. short trails to waterfalls
255. the first wildflowers of spring--the redbuds are starting to bloom, and we spotted a few yellow violets and a trout lily on the Rufus Morgan Trail)
256. trail maintainers
257. Chili and Pepper - good friends, and a father/son duo who thru-hiked the AT last year, when Cameron ("Chili") was 11 years old.
258. Hopeful - a hiking friend from 'way back, who thru-hiked in 2003 and is thru-hiking again this year
259. having time to bake up a batch of oatmeal cookies
260. having time to share conversation with Hopeful over a cup of coffee
261. other friends we got to see this weekend - Jennifer Pharr Davis, Tenacious Tanasi, Ox, Miss Janet, Circuit Rider, Sherlock, Smokestack, Mother Nature, and others
262. trail names--I just love that I have all these treasured friends, and I don't even know most of their real names
262. a "For Sale" sign in front of the house (though I'll be much more grateful for a "Sold" sign!)
263. Anne's delight at seeing a tall waterfall up close
264. having a few minutes to play the piano (while someone else does the dishes!)
265. the way Anne dances when I play ragtime on the piano
266. the quick friendship that struck up between Chili and Anne
267. how Anne immediately ran to Hopeful, arms outstretched, when she first saw him. ("She knows a grandpa when she sees one," Hopeful said knowingly.) (She'd only met him a couple of times before, and very briefly then.)
268. this book, which a friend of mine recommended. It might have to join Learned Optimism, Your Money or Your Life, and Organizing from the Inside Out as one of the few self-help books that have actually helped this inflexible old self.
269. the ability to explore and appreciate the wonder of God's creation
270. being able to share that wonder with friends--and with Anne