Well. It has been a long day, and a long week. Time dragged and time flew. I feel like I missed twenty gazillion hours of work (and lost that much PTO), but I was really gone for only a day (Friday, the day of my mom's surgery).
And the weekend? Crazy scheduling, four house guests Friday night, a business/pleasure trip for Dan, and my sister's daughter with strep throat. Sigh.
Thanks to my dear friend eArThworm, I have a great little notebook for writing gratitude lists. It's small and light enough that I can carry it just about anywhere. So, while I was waiting for my mom's surgery to be over, or getting ready to go to sleep at 1 a.m., or taking a "mommy break" while Anne read books to herself, I would steal a few minutes to write down the blessings I could count at the moment.
And there were quite a few!
235. a baby's snaggletoothed smile
236. solitude, even at the office
237. hiking trails
238. stirrings of an old dream I thought had long died
240. a dryer rack full of clean dishes
241. finding the other sock
242. brown-mottled bananas
243. everyday items that have meaning--the mixer, a gift from my brother; a hand towel, a gift from Mrs. Shirley from more than a decade ago
244. a hand-print picture on the fridge, a gift from Ella
245. a handful of Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal
246. the sound of coffee dripping
247. being the only one awake in the morning
249. parents who model unconditional love
240. knowing that, if anything happens to my mom in surgery, she knows I love her
241. a two-year-old's prayers for her grandmother
242. seeing my mom's eyes open after they wheeled her back from surgery
243. long talks with my dad
244. steel-cut oats
246. old friends visiting, talking trail
247. seeing bleuets and violets outside my office building this morning
250. being Anne's mom