Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Toddler Tuesday

My darling toddler is waking up between 2:30 and 4:30 every night. Some nights I'll feed her. Some nights I'll lie in bed and beg her silently to go back to sleep. Every once in a blue moon she'll do that, but not usually.

Last night was a 2:30 wake-up. I wasn't surprised, as she ate very little for dinner. So I asked if she was hungry, and she patted her belly, which is her way of saying, "Yes, Mommy, I'm hungry." So I nursed her ... and once she finished her milk, she started crying again.

And she cried. She cried so hard she threw up. Milk-vomit, all over her, all over me, all over our sheets. At 3:00 a.m. Again.

She's such a sweet boo, but this up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-every-night thing has got to come to an end. Tonight, and every night until we get into a new routine, we're having spaghetti for dinner. Spaghetti is the only food she'll wolf down. Everything else gets picked at. She's finally beginning to eat like her picky parents ate when they were kids. I knew it was coming. It had to.

But if we give her spaghetti, she'll get a full belly. And if she has a full belly, she'll sleep through the night. Right? We'll see.

I never went back to sleep and instead did some writing from 4:30 until now (6:15 or so). I'm supposed to run three miles after work tonight. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of Anne from the past couple of weekends.


Taking a hike with her daddy

Loving the swing


Playing with Daddy (and the cat)

There aren't many "new" things to report this week. She still weighs her usual 17 and a half pounds, though she's gotten a bit taller. She babbles constantly but isn't saying any actual words yet, other than "Dada" and "Mama" and the occasional bark or moo. She knows just about all of her body parts.

She's still book-crazy, to the point that I actually worried a little this weekend that she's spending too much of her life with her nose in a book. Yes, I have an M.A. in English and taught English and am always reading at least one book and own upwards of 1,500 books. But I'm wondering if Anne should show just a little interest in something other than books. Puzzles, for instance. Or balls. Or MEGA Bloks.

I won't complain, though. I've probably spent too much of my life with my nose in a book, and I don't think it's hurt me too much. And I do love having a little bookworm. Like Mommy, like Daughter. :-)


Reading at the library one Saturday
 
On the kitchen floor

In her rocking chair

4 comments:

  1. Love that photo of y'all at the library! Cute, cute, cute!! Sleeping problems are the worst! I have seen a lot of 2 am myself recently! We have tried everything, and the only thing that seems to work for us is crying it out. I used to think it seems horribly cruel and unloving, but I am a big supporter of it now. Anyway, I highly recommend a book called, Good Night Sleep Tight. It has helped me keep my sanity because I need my sleep!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Sleep-Tight-Helping/dp/1593150253

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the middle of the night wake-ups! It's so hard to know what to do sometimes! Maybe she's just growing?

    LOL! I love that Anne loves books so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wolfing down spaghetti (my favorite food) for the past two nights and I've been sleeping through the night. So what if I've gained 5 or 10 lbs.
    (Not to make light of your situation--whew. That sounds really tough.)

    Were you able to run?

    Good luck tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's just so cute!! I hope she's sleeping better now. We had one that never slept through the night until she was two -- and she was the fourth child. Hmmm, it must have been my lack of parenting skills, hahaha! I remember how draining it could be. Were you able to go for your run?

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete