Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Toddler Tuesday ... on a Wednesday

It's early Wednesday morning, and Dan has already left home, Anne in tow. He has a meeting in the vicinity of Anne's sitter, so he's dropping her off today.

Absence is making this mommy's heart grow ever fonder. I'll see her at 1:00 this afternoon if Angela decides to take the kids into town. If not, I'll see her when I pick her up after work at 7:45 tonight.

I hate missing my sweet daughter, but I'm thankful that, at the end of the day, always, she is there: waiting for me, grinning, happy to see her mommy again.

Anne turned 14 months old on Saturday. This past week, she gave me a "kiss" for the first time. We've been working on this for a while. Then one day I said, "Anne, can you give Mommy a kiss?" And she walked over to me and rested her lips on my cheek for a couple of seconds.

Can I ever describe the joy that overcame me in that moment? You'll just have to take my word for it.

And later, when Dan was in the room, I said, "Anne, can you give Daddy a kiss?" And she did the same to him. Made his day.

This whole weekend was a series of similar sweet moments; I wrote about some of them (and posted a few pictures) yesterday. It was my first "free" (non-working) weekend since September, and I made the most of it by spending every moment I could with my family. Anne and I read books, played with toys, and nursed to our hearts' content. We went with Dan to the playground both days. We went grocery shopping together. We went to the library. We just had fun.

Oh, and Dan built her a bookcase Sunday afternoon. That's something she'll be able to treasure for the rest of her life.

Here are a few more memories from the past week:

- At home, when I said, "Anne, would you like to go to the playground?", she squealed, ran to the front door, and began banging on it. (Let's go, Mommy, let's go! Now, Mommy!")

- Her favorite food is spaghetti. The other night, when she ran out of pasta in her bowl, she pointed to the big bowl of spaghetti that was on the table, and then tapped her finger in her bowl.

- She's begun trying to say words. She said something like "Anh" and patted her chest. She's also said something like "please" ("pee").

- She's demonstrating the cutest little sense of humor. She likes to hide from us (always in the closet). We'll go around the house calling, "Anne? Where's Anne? Has anyone seen Anne?" And then she'll come out of the closet, grinning.

- She'll pretend to offer us something--her toothbrush, a Cheerio, etc.--and then snatch it back, grinning, just as we're about to take it. She doesn't know how to say "Psych!" yet, but she definitely has the idea.

- She loves the slide at the playground. This weekend, I noticed that she's no longer falling back as she slides. She's now able to keep her body at a mostly 90-degree angle when she goes down.

- She's still a huge bookworm. She loves her new bookcase and takes 10 or 15 books off of it each night for us to read.

- She's begun waking up in the night again. I can't tell that she's teething, but I know something must be going on. Three nights in a row now, she's been up between 2:30 and 4:30. I'd hoped to start getting up early (around 5:00 a.m.) to write. Needless to say, that hasn't happened.

- She was coughing a lot last week, so we took her to the doctor. He said she had the beginnings of bronchiolitis and gave us a prescription for an antibiotic. It's the first antibiotic she's ever taken, and Dan and I weren't crazy about giving it to her. But she's no longer making a rattly noise when she breathes, and her coughing has diminished, so we're glad she's better.

- She weighed in at 17 pounds, 9 ounces at the doctor's office. Still a little bitty thing!

- She's begun to run. It's an awkward toddler-run, but it's a run. And, as you might expect, it's unbelievably cute.

- Both nights this weekend, my face hurt from so much smiling.

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of more, I'll update this post accordingly.

3 comments:

  1. Jonathan used to give kisses by sticking his tongue out and pressing it against the kissee's lips. My sisters used to ask him to give them a kiss, then do a cringe face as he happily lunged at them with his tongue hanging out. Fortunately, that phase only lasted a few months before he learned how to kiss properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Nina! These posts just make me smile! Especially because I can so *vividly* picture Anne's little antics because they're happening right now in my house too (by another little baby, of course)! :)

    Oh, yes, baby kisses are the best gift EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete