Monday, February 14, 2011

Saturday Links & Ramblings ... On Monday

I had to step away from the blog world for a while last week; responsibilities at work and home required my attention, so I haven't been able to update this blog, or read others' blogs, for a few days. I can't promise that I'm back for good, but I am happy to announce that the higher-ups should be reducing our work hours in the next few days.

Just a few links for this week ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a new mom, I appreciated Mark Altrogge's list of ways that we can provoke our children to anger. Here are just a few that made me think:

- By being offended at their sin because it bothers us, not because it offends God.
- By failing to ask their forgiveness when we sin against them
- By self-centered reactions to their sin (How could you do this to ME?)

Read the rest at The Blazing Center.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In another good post for new moms, particularly those who have (or are planning to have) more than a couple of children, mom-of-five Allison Horton offers Tips & Tricks From a Mom of Many.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On an entirely different subject, I was saddened and moved by this story about child-author Barbara Follett, a talented writer who mysteriously disappeared as a young woman, and was never seen again. Her first novel, The House Without Windows, was published when she was barely twelve years old.

Years later, after her father left her and her mother, Follett had to take a secretarial job. About that experience, she wrote something that resonated a bit with this creative-type-turned-technical-writer:

“I thought [my dreams] were all safely buried, but sometimes they stir in their grave, making my heartstrings twinge. I mean no particular dream, you understand, but the whole radiant flock of them together—with their rainbow wings, iridescent, bright, soaring, glorious, sublime. They are dying before the steel javelins and arrows of a world of Time and Money.”

Follett's story is a sad one, but so worth the read. You can find it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post by Greg Lucas had me in tears, and I don't even like dogs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dana Huff recently reminded me of a reading challenge I meant to join but forgot about. For the 2011 Where Are You Reading Challenge, you basically use Google Maps to mark the settings of books you've read this year.

My reading progress has been abysmal this year; I haven't finished a single book. I'm about halfway through both the Bible (in 90 days) and One Thousand Gifts. Poor Anna Karenina is my third priority. I've barely kept up with the Bible and manage to read just two or three pages of One Thousand Gifts a day. It's very frustrating not to be able to read more, but I'm just so tired in that tiny window of time I get to myself (usually after 11:00 pm). Once they cut back our hours at work, the reading should pick up.

Here's my map so far. I'm probably cheating because I haven't technically finished any of these books, but it helps me feel less discouraged to see the locations marked.


(As a post-Saturday aside, Ann Voskamp, author of One Thousand Gifts, has an article in The Huffington Post today.

That's it for Saturday Links and Ramblings on Monday. If all goes according to plan, I'll publish Multitude Monday on Tuesday, and Toddler Tuesday on Wednesday.

Have a good week, dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment