Friday, February 25, 2011

Priority Check

Last night I logged on to Facebook to wish a couple of friends a happy birthday (even though their birthdays were mostly over). As usual when I log on to Facebook, I decided to scroll down the page to see what everyone was up to.

I don't know why I do this, any more than I know why I keep eating Ritz crackers after 11:30 at night. But I do. Though I'm admittedly getting better (about Facebook, not about Ritz crackers).

Anyway, I was reading status updates I (mostly) wasn't interested in, many of them written (mostly) by people I don't know that well, when I felt Miss Anne's little hand patting my leg. I looked down at her. She had a book to read. Another book.

"Wait, Miss Anne," I said as I clicked "Like" or posted some two-word comment to someone's status update. "Just a minute."

Thirty seconds later, she patted me again.

"Just a minute, Miss Anne. Right now, Mommy's ..."

And I stopped. Looked up. Right now Mommy's ... what?

I closed my laptop. I picked up Miss Anne and hugged her. I apologized. Told her she's so much more important to me than stupid old Facebook.

She didn't understand what had just happened, but I did, and I felt so bad about it I almost cried.

What I hope she did understand, ultimately, was that she was more important than whatever Mommy was doing on the computer. Even if it took Mommy a minute to realize it.

And then we read her book. For the three hundred and twenty-first wonderful time.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I often worry that I will be distracted and won't answer Jack when he asks me a question. Or I'll say, "hold on, mommy's busy." I see other parents on their cell phones or talking to other adults and they're not paying attention to the kids or they pretend like they're listening. I used to work at a Hallmark store and saw this kind of thing all the time. I never want to be like that and I hope I realize it quickly if it does happen (like you did).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Facebook!!! I do it all the time. Ugh. I can't even believe myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a piece on Talk of the Nation today that focused on that subject. Good for you for choosing your daughter over technology!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another reason for me not to like fb. I'm going on a for sure fast there again when the girls arrive. I'm so glad you felt that priority check -- even if it meant reading the same book for the three hundred and twenty-first wonderful time :o).

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before facebook, there was the cell phone. Before the cell phone, there was the television. Before the television, there was the telephone. Before the telephone, there was the radio. Before the radio, there were next-door neighbors. That's probably way out of order and there are a lots of stuff that can be added, but so it goes. As long as you put your child first before the many distractions available to adults, you are to be commended!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been so guilty of this, Nina! Deactivated my FB, partly for this reason.... I mostly did it for privacy reasons, but also for a multitude of other reasons! I love it that you caught yourself so quickly! I've been guilty of ignoring for much longer.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful post :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete