Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Thuddy Thursday to Come

I’m finding that I’m a lot more likely to post things if I have a theme for a day, such as Multitude Monday and Toddler Tuesday. I’ve been playing with properly alliterative ideas for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, and I think I’ve come up with one for Thursdays.

Thuddy Thursday.

World, meet Thuddy. Thuddy, meet world.

Thuddy Theodora (known affectionately as "Thuddy")

Thuddy is the name of the piano in the chapel at the Baptist church down the road from work. As you can see in the photographs, Thuddy is a very Southern Baptist piano, complete with open Bible, candles, greenery, and American flag.

Thuddy from the side

Cleaned up a bit, and with a good camera (better than the cell phone that took these pictures), she could be a model for the cover of a church bulletin, could she not?

I named this piano Thuddy several years ago. Her full name is actually “Thuddy Theodora.” She’s a good little piano, just a bit ... thuddy. Muffled-sounding. But I’m not complaining; I’ve had many wonderful experiences practicing on Thuddy, and I hope to have many more.

So, what is Thuddy Thursday going to be?

Just as I devote Tuesdays at this blog to talk of my toddler, I’m going to devote Thursdays to talk of my work on Thuddy. In other words, I’m going to bore you with reports of my piano-practice sessions. I might get a little creative some weeks and focus more on a particular composer I like or a piece I want to learn. But, for the most part, I’m going to write about practicing. I need to do this for my own accountability. Sorry if I put you, dear readers, to sleep in the process.

Back in the day, I kept something of a log of my piano practices at my Piano Practice blog. I just re-read a few posts from it and am amazed at how much time I was able to put into piano, back in that former life. One hundred and twenty minutes? Seventy minutes? In one sitting? And hoping for another practice session before bed?

Those days are over, folks. Right now I’m happy to get two days a week of 40 minutes each: five or six minutes of scales and arpeggios, 20 minutes on one piece, and 15 minutes on another. And the prospect of taking piano lessons again? Not for a while. Maybe I’ll be able to put more time, money, and effort into piano in the future. For now, I’m happy with what I can get.

So, tomorrow will be the premiere of Thuddy Thursday at Life Downside Up. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going to like Thuddy Thursdays! You've already inspired me to start practicing again, hence, Pathetique. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Since Immy was born I have a hard time finding time to practice, too! Please inspire me, Waterfall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Thuddy's name. Fun!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete