Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday Links and Ramblings

Let’s see if I can make this a regular feature of this blog ...

My latest bout with severe depression started last September, when my daughter was nine months old. It got worse for several months and then, suddenly, in the last week or so ... it seems to have lifted. I feel hopeful for the first time in months.

Speaking of hopeful, my dear friend Lamar Powell, whose trail name is fittingly “Hopeful,” will be setting out on his second thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail this spring and will be keeping an online journal of his hike. Hopeful is a wonderful writer; I never tire of reading his trip reports, his insightful thoughts, and his evocative descriptions of the natural world. I don’t typically following hiking journals, but this is one I’ll be reading every time it’s updated.

Just to make sure, I’ve just added a link to Hopeful’s journal to my sidebar. While I was at Trailjournals (where he and many other hikers store their journals online), I decided to go ahead and add my own past journals to the Look at Me! Writings, Editings, etc., section of my sidebar.

Here’s another good link: Sherry at Semicolon hosts the Saturday Review of Books each week. If you’ve reviewed a book this week, please consider adding your link at her blog.

More links? I learned recently that two real-life friends have begun blogging: Renee in North Carolina, and Allison in Louisiana. Renee’s Family Devotions offers wisdom and suggestions for sharing passages of scripture with folks of all ages, from adults down to toddlers. At The Horton 7, Allison describes life in her family of seven (which includes a set of newborn twin boys). I feel overwhelmed with just one baby; I can’t imagine five. But Allison's posts are entertaining and often—I hate this overused phrase, but it’s true in this case—laugh-out-loud funny.

Well, I’m just home from work and waiting for Old Dan and Little Anne to come home. They’re at the 2011 Southern Ruck at Nantahala Outdoor Center. I wish I could be there; this is the first weekend in many years that I haven’t been able to make it. But I had to work, and it didn’t make sense to go up there after work, at least not with a one-year-old. So Dan and Anne made the "SoRuck" their first “daddy date” and went without me. I know they had a great time, but I hated missing this annual gathering of trail friends. Maybe next year.

That's it for this week's Saturday Links and Ramblings. See y'all Monday, if not sooner.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an enjoyable weekend -- even if you did have to work. Funny that you should mention a link up for book reviews. I was going to start a Saturday book review series on my blog just to keep it accountable as to what books I'm reading. Hope you have a nice and relaxing Sunday.

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete