Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday Links and Ramblings

Why am I always surprised when it’s Saturday again? I mean, it’s seven days after last Saturday. What else would it be? I'm happy to report that today is a beautiful, mild Saturday. Dan and I hope to take Li’l Boo for a hike after I get home from work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A friend and I have decided to take James 5:16 to heart and “confess [our] sins to one another, and pray for one another so that [we] may be healed.” Readers, have you ever done anything like this with another person, or in a small group? I am looking for advice on this practice. I was able to glean some wisdom from Jonathan Dodson’s “Gospel-Centered Accountability,” but I’d like to hear from some of my female friends who have done things kind of thing before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many people posted their thoughts for Sanctity of Human Life Week. This post about adoption, by Greg Lucas, had my throat all lumpy and my eyes all teary. As an adoptee, I felt thankful, once again, to my birthmother, and for the choice she made to give me life—and for the even more difficult choice she made to give me up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It seems like a lot of bloggers, at least in the circle of Christian bloggers I follow, are either adoptive parents or are in the process of becoming adoptive parents. It’s like adoption is in the air. In his recent article on the theology of adoption (discussing the book Reclaiming Adoption, Fred Sanders agrees:

“But I think something like the latter, a revival, is happening right now in evangelical theology. There is a movement underway in which Christians, and even whole congregations, are committing themselves and their resources to caring for orphans, partly by adoption.”

I’ve thought about this a lot lately. Honestly, I don’t know if adoption is in the cards for us. It’s not something I feel particularly “called” to do. To be completely frank, I’m still trying to recover from the shock of becoming a mom after 30+ years of not feeling “called” to have children at all.

(That said, I’m sure glad my parents didn’t feel the same way I do.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be sure and check out this week’s edition of the Saturday Review of Books at Semicolon. If you’ve reviewed a book on your blog this week, you can leave a link on her blog and share your review with readers like me who read the book reviews throughout the week when I need a break.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve joined a club, everyone. I’m not a club-joiner, but I couldn’t resist hopping on the bandwagon of the Curious Ladies’ Aid Society (formerly the Communist Ladies’ Aid Society) (yes, the name was a joke), founded by my friend Tonia at Study in Brown. (Check out the cool C.L.A.S. lady in my sidebar.) The requirement? Take time to send old-fashioned, handwritten letters to friends. And mail them. You know—envelopes, stamps, that sort of thing. I think you can get them at your local history museum, or maybe at the Post Office. I’m not sure. Anyway, I wrote my first letter last week while my computer at work was out of commission. My next letter, which I’ll write this weekend, will be to my Compassion child, Consuelo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skye Jethani writes about how he prefers dead authors to living ones:

“If someone has been dead for a while and his book is still in print and widely read, then it’s probably worth reading.”

Amen to that! In the comments, I listed a few dead authors I really love and included a couple of Lewis quotes that came to mind:

"Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books."

And:

"It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between."

For my non-lurking readers (and you lurkers, too!), I'm curious: Who are some of the dead authors that you love most, and/or have taught you the most?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In closing, here’s a quote from Jon Acuff, whose blog, Stuff Christians Like, has become one of my “daily must-reads” since I discovered it a few weeks ago:

“If you’re going to risk and maybe fail, fail at something that matters. Fail gloriously so that even in failure, lives change.”

Have a good weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised it's Thursday again. heh Like, what the heck, I *just* wrote my post last week and now another week has gone by and more stuff has happened.

    I don't feel called to adoption, either. I'd feel like I was perpetually babysitting someone else's kid and constantly be wondering when they'd be coming to take their child home and why are they late? I know God can change a person's heart, and maybe he will someday. Like you, though, I'm glad Tony's parents didn't feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like your Saturday rambles! :)

    I also like the C.L.A.S club . . . I might just have to join that one - there's nothing like getting a good, old-fashioned letter in the mail. :)

    Hmmm . . . authors speaking from the grave. Well, it's predictable, but definitely C.S. Lewis. I love his book Till We have Faces, and of course, his more popular works as well. Hmm . . . I'm going to have to think about this one! Of course, there are *several* novels I could add to this list, but I'm not sure that that counts?

    And I love your quote at the end. Very timely for me, my friend. :)

    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weeks fly by so quickly!! The adoption link moved me to tears. Thank you for sharing it. One of my favorite authors is L.M. Montgomery.

    Have a great weekend, Nina! I hope you got in that hike!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favorite dead author = "Cactus" Ed Abbey. He's a buzzard now (if he got his wish).

    ReplyDelete