Thursday, January 13, 2011

Reading Update

OK, moms of small children, I have one question for you: How do you find time for books?

I've taken to carrying my copy of Anna Karenina everywhere with me. I read while waiting for my lunch to heat up. I got to read for ten minutes yesterday after punching out from work, waiting for my computer to finish crashing so I could restart it and go home. I read last night by the light of my dashboard while driving the icy roads home from the office. (Not really. I just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.)

And that's just Anna Karenina.

I'm about a fourth of the way through AK and hate that I'm having to read it in such fits and starts. Oh, to be able to relax in front of a fire, on a comfy couch, with hours ahead of me for reading this wonderful story! That's not gonna happen anytime soon, so I take what I can get.

In the challenge to read the Bible in 90 days, I'm ... keeping up! It hasn't been too difficult; with the 90-Day Bible, I need to read just twelve pages a day. This Bible doesn't have any commentary, other than the basic meanings of names and measurements, so it's easy to read quickly. (I love commentary, but my goal for this reading is to read broadly rather than deeply, to get a "big picture" of the entire story, from Genesis to Revelation. And the 90-Day Bible is great for that.)

I've been doing my Bible reading at night before bed, which has been both a good thing and a bad thing. Good because it's a set time in which I'm not continually interrupted. Bad because Leviticus is not the best thing to read when one is already tired. (But good because, well, if insomnia is a problem ...)

I'm also keeping up with the Your Secret Name read-along and will continue to post my thoughts on it most weeks.

Finally, I've been reading Depression: A Stubborn Darkness, by Edward T. Welch, recommended to me by my pastor. I'm just a couple of chapters in, but I'm thinking I might write a review of it once I've finished it. I typically read a few pages of it at night, after the Bible and before sleep.

It's been a challenge to make time for reading. It seems like I'm at work all the time (we're in early support season, which means 10-hour shifts five days a week, plus four-hour shifts on Saturdays), and when I'm not at work I'm in full-time mommy/wife/homemaker mode. Reading early in the mornings is usually out of the question because Anne is (again) not sleeping through the night, and I need every last bit of sleep I can get before going to work.

Taking Anna Karenina everywhere with me, participating in a read-along that asks us to cover only a few chapters a week, and doing the 90-day Bible challenge have all been good and necessary approaches to helping me make time for reading in this very busy season of my life. My general mood has improved, and I think it's partly because I've been able to find snatches of time for books. My attitude has definitey begun to change in recent weeks; rather than feeling frustrated that I never have time to read, I'm feeling thankful for every spare moment I can get.

What are some tried-and-true approaches you've used to fit reading into a busy schedule?

6 comments:

  1. There is no time! I barely have time to dry my own hair or find socks that match (I'm wearing brown socks and black shoes today!). I guess I've just accepted the fact that at this point in my life, my enrichment needs are taking a back seat to my children's needs, my job and daily household chores. And the funny thing is that I'm really OK with it. I feel so blessed to have two happy and healthy children and a job I love (not so grateful for the housework, but I'm trying to be as I am lucky to have a roof over my head at night)! And I have also realized that in the grand scheme of things, they are only babies for a VERY SHORT TIME! And it goes by so fast! BUT if there ever is anything I really want to do (like read) I stay up late or get up early, but I usually choose sleep! I need sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown socks and black shoes ... scandalous!!

    Well, at least the shoes match each other! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Yes at lest my shoes matched :) and Meant to add in my earlier post that I'm so impressed with your dedication to reading and writing for pleasure. I wish I had more of that discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found also (not that surprisingly, either) that making time to read - and write, but particularly reading lately - helps to increase my life satisfaction also. I have also noticed that my blogging and celebrity/Pampers writing posts have suffered in an effort to do so, but for the time being, I am a-OK with that.

    I must admit, though, that I tend to read at night, particularly late at night, and my sleep suffers from it. If Ava wasn't a late sleeper (this morning she slept until 9:45 - I know how extremely fortunate this is!!!), I wouldn't be able to, but last night I was up until 12:30 reading. I also suffer from insomnia, sometimes mild and sometimes severe, so that's a big part of it. I wouldn't be sleeping anyway, so I make use of that time by reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read on the toilet. It's the only time I can get a moment away, and even then, it doesn't always work. But I do attempt to stay on until I finish a chapter...or until I hear blood curdling screams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little late on this, but wanted to add something. I also love to read but haven't had much time do so. One thing I'm very fortunate with is that I can listen to audiobooks at work. The problem is that they are expensive. A coworker got me hooked on this and I have pretty much gone through her entire collection! It helps to pass the time and oddly enough, it keeps me focused on my work! I love having a book in my hand and I wish I had more time to read, but for now I'll take what I can get.

    ReplyDelete