Monday, January 31, 2011

Reading Update: January 2011

I read a lot in January. And finished nothing.

Which is okay, because I didn't expect to finish anything this month. At the same time, I wish I'd devoted more time to reading.

I'm on track for reading the Bible in 90 days. I fell behind a few times and got ahead a few times (only to fall behind again), but, as of today, I'm right where I'm supposed to be: starting the book of 1 Chronicles. It has definitely been a whirlwind, and I'm not sure how much I'm getting out of the experience (yet), but I'm keeping up.

I'm a little less than halfway through Anna Karenina. This is one I wish I'd spent more time reading. I love this book, and I hate to put it down whenever I have to stop reading. But the Bible commitment has been the first priority, and its 12 or more pages per night generally take up what little reading time I have.

Oh, and there's one other usurper of my reading time: One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are.  This book was written by Ann Voskamp, a blog-friend of mine who is suddenly right in the limelight with her book ranked in the amazon.com and USA Today bestseller lists. Wow! I've been reading a page or two at a time. Generally, it's been this book (and not Anna Karenina) I've picked up when I have only five minutes to read.

I'm half-heartedly continuing Your Secret Name for the read-along. I say "half-heartedly" because this book really isn't "speaking" to me at all, and it feels like a chore to keep reading. I'm thinking I might put this one down for the time being.

Reading goals for February: Continue with the 90-day challenge, make more time for Tolstoy, and continue my leisurely walk through One Thousand Gifts. And try to write at least one, maybe two, reviews for the Saturday Review of Books at Semicolon.

Do you have any reading goals for February?

No comments: