Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Race I Don't Think I'll Try

A few minutes ago, I got an e-mail from my friend, Janet:

"I have found the race of my dreams! This year, I am signing up for the Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh, NC on February 5, 2011. I cannot wait!"

"Well, that's nice," I thought, and wondered, "Is this a marathon? Half-marathon? Will there be doughnuts at the end of the race?"

So I checked out Janet's link and found this:

"Beginning at the NC State Belltower, each runner runs 2 miles to the Krispy Kreme store located on Peace St. in Raleigh. After downing a full dozen of the famous Krispy Kreme doughnuts, the runner must run the 2 miles back."

Oof! Two miles? On a dozen doughnuts? Will there be barf bags stashed along the way?

Another friend provided this article by Greg Garber of ESPN.com, which quotes Greg Mulholland, the winner of the first Krispy Kreme challenge in 2004:

"You've got the mass of doughnuts in your stomach that's sort of sloshing around," Gaddy said. "Then you start sweating, and you're sweating glaze, you're sweating Krispy Kreme glaze, and it's coming out of your pores. You feel your arms are sticky, you're starting to salivate, but it's not saliva, it's syrup."

Can you imagine? Do you even want to imagine?

This actually looks like fun (though I won't be trying it!), and it's for a good cause: the NC Children's Hospital.

(It also reminds me of one of my happiest moments on my Appalachian Trail thru-hike: The day I scarfed down five Krispy Kreme doughnuts, all within an 8-minute phone conversation with my grandmother. Oh, happy day!)

Speaking of running and races, I'm hoping to run a few races this year, but nothing major. I'm tossing around the idea (again) of the Flying Pig Half-Marathon in May, but if I'm going to do that, I need to start training on Monday. Most likely, I'll do a few 5K races in the spring, and maybe a longer race in the fall.

I've begun keeping track of my workouts at Buckeye Outdoors. I'll also be listening to my best virtual running buddy, Steve Runner, as I begin to cover more mileage over the next couple of months.

So, do I have any runners among my readers? Anyone planning any races you'd like to share in the comments?

6 comments:

  1. Ha! This is hysterical. "But it's not sweat. It's syrup!"

    Bwahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I was totally with you on this one until the running back part...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah!!! There's a Krispy Kreme Challenge Race!!!?? That sounds delicious!!! (it's an honor to run with you Nina!) - S

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHH! Nina! I'm so impressed. So wish that I was a runner, but I HATE it. I'm more of a rowing, pilates kind of girl, IF even that! Working on my love for working out though - hoping it manifests itself sometime soon. ;) You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Krispy Kreme challenge does make me want to barf! I can't imagine eating a dozen doughnuts, much less running 2 miles afterwards! But a doughnut or two at the end of a race would be wonderful. :)

    I just signed up today for the Race for the Cure in D.C. June 4. It's hard for me to run races because there aren't many that allow strollers on the course. But I plan on running as much as I can as soon as it warms up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're enjoying running and have stuff to strive for. Many moons ago I used to run. I'm told I could start again, but at this point there are too many roadblocks in the way that I can see. (Nowhere to run, seven kiddoes (soon) to look after, serious lack of time, old injuries, etc.) Perhaps they're all just excuses.

    I can't believe anyone can actually run after downing a dozen Krispy Kremes. YUCK!!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete