Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Daybook for April 20, 2010

Outside my window … it’s a cool, drizzly day. Reminds me of many mornings on the Appalachian Trail. I love weather like this.

I am thinking … that I need to revise a document at work today, and I really don’t want to.

I am thankful … for my Bible study group. I just “joined” them a couple of weeks ago, and am already beginning to see the fruits of these new relationships.

I am wearing … my “uniform”: Jeans, old running shoes, and an old running t-shirt with long sleeves.

I am creating … a style guide at work, with the help of my fellow technical writer. Basically, we’re developing the writing standards to be used across the company. It’s a pretty interesting project. Like most things I write at work, it will be infinitely helpful to anyone who bothers to read it. :)

I am reading … Conversion by Malcolm Muggeridge.

I am hoping … to grab a few minutes this evening to play piano.

I am hearing … the hum of my computer, and the tapping of keyboard keys.

I am remembering … a cold, gray day in January when my mom took me to see Tootsie in the movie theater behind Cortana Mall (or was it Bon Marche?) in Baton Rouge. I was twelve years old. Why am I remembering this? I woke up this morning with the love theme from that movie (“It Might Be You”) in my head. I haven't heard, or thought about, that song in years.

I really love getting older. When I have vivid memories of childhood (like the memory of going to see Tootsie with my mom), I feel ancient, but at the same time, I’m aware of the bond between me and the shy little 12-year-old that I was. I feel like I’m spanning time, gathering all the experiences of 30 years up to myself, wondering that I survived it all—and turned out all right.

I am going … to try to re-read a chapter or two of Spiritual Depression by D. Martin Lloyd-Jones before I lend it to a friend in two weeks. I read this book about a year ago, but I read it too fast and didn’t allow the concepts to sink in. Didn’t let them live with me. I need to re-read the whole book, and read it very slowly. I can at least do that with a couple of chapters—or maybe just one—in these next couple of weeks.

Noticing that … I am an expert at wasting five minutes here and ten minutes there, and then wondering where all the time has gone. It wasn’t such a big deal before I became a mom, because I had hours of time to myself, if I wanted them. Wasting a few minutes here and there had little effect on my overall sense of available time. Things are different now.

Pondering … time. How it seems so natural, yet so unnatural. Brings to mind the C.S. Lewis quote, “Humans are amphibians - half spirit and half animal. As spirits they belong to the eternal world, but as animals they inhabit time.”

From the kitchen … Oh, our kitchen has been a ghost town these days, with the only real activity being the collection of dust on all surfaces. I do hope to bake a lemon pound cake before Friday, when my parents come to visit.

One of my favorite things … When I go to the sitter’s and Anne’s face breaks into a huge grin at the sight of me.

Here is a picture for thought I am sharing:



This is a collage made by my sister’s friend, Mandi. Click it to view a larger version. We took these pictures this past weekend.

For more simple entries, visit The Simple Woman's Daybook.

2 comments:

  1. for some reason this post calmed me -- and of course the photos made me smile.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there...I just found your blog by searching ordinal linguistic personification and read your post about it. I never knew there was a name for this! I just wrote a post about how I see the calendar. So crazy. I also see that you are an INFP. Me too! (and btw, J is clearly bright red, not deep purple :)

    ReplyDelete