Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Daybook

I read a post at Upsidedown Bee today, which led me to The Simple Woman's Daybook. So here's my "daybook" entry for March 2, 2010:

Tuesday, March 2nd

Outside my window... the snow is falling hard. I’m hoping this is the last snow of the season, and that Franklin will once again get just enough snow to be pleasant, but not so much that it’s inconvenient.

I am thinking... about seasons of life, and feeling both excited and intimidated at beginning a new season—motherhood—at 40. I’m also thinking of my two creative passions (writing and music) and how they are beginning to integrate themselves into this new life.

I am thankful for … the fact that I live in a free country, and that I can pretty much say whatever I want, do whatever I want, and go wherever I want, whenever I want. It’s a pretty good life, living here.

I am also thankful for... being adopted by patient parents. The other night, Hubster and I were talking about my past, and all the pain I put my parents through, particularly during my late teens and early twenties. It amazes me that they didn’t just try to send me back, even though I’m sure it was well past the expiration date. :)

From the kitchen... Work-week clutter has already taken over. I’m already missing the weekend smells of cookies baking and beef stew simmering.

I am wearing... my uniform: jeans and a long-sleeved running t-shirt. This is actually my second long-sleeved running t-shirt of the day. When I was nursing Anne at the sitter’s, she spit up all over my first one, so I had to go home and change before going to work.

I am creating... nothing right now. But I can tell the wheels are turning in my brain. Who knows how the creativity will manifest itself? Writing? Piano? Something new I haven’t discovered yet? I'll wait and see.

I am going... to update the index to one of our company’s manuals today. Painstaking drudgery for some, but an endlessly fascinating puzzle for me. Work starts at 9:00, and I’m looking forward to it.

I am reading... Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick. I bought this book a year or so ago and am kicking myself for not having started it sooner. It’s rare that a nonfiction book (much less a history book) can suck me in and have me thinking about it all day, looking forward to when I can get home and continue reading it. But this book, much like the same author's In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, has had that effect on me.

I am also reading… The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. It’s books like these that really make me appreciate the happy accident of living in a free country.

I am hoping... that Hubster’s meeting tonight is cancelled due to the snow, and that he can come home early.

I am hearing... the sound of the heater at work, and the sound of my own typing. Other than that, it's pretty quiet.

Around the house... Beau the Cat alternately sleeps and patrols in our absence.

One of my favorite things... nursing my baby, with a cup of hot herbal tea nearby and Bach playing on the CD player.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Finishing up the supplements to the manual at work. Bonding with my little daughter and continuing to develop a sleep schedule for her. Enjoying my husband now that he isn’t sick anymore. Thanking God for health and a good life.

Here is picture for thought I am sharing... My little daughter, "wearing" her towel. This picture was taken by my friend Robbie, who has been kind enough to take this and many other photos of Baby Anne. (Thanks, Robbie!)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I like this, it's nice. Very thought provoking and a sense of peace is coming through. Your daughter is very sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet little Anne is! Lovely post. Blessings for the rest of your week. B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing what is going on in your life - I found it a real blessing. Anne is beautiful!

    Love,
    Miss Shirley

    ReplyDelete