Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Second Post of 2010

I'm wondering, does anyone even check this blog anymore?

My maternity leave is over. I go back to work on Monday. I have mixed feelings about it all. On one hand, I'm ready for the mental stimulation and social interaction that work provides. (Yes, even an introvert starts to crave social interaction after a while.) On the other, I'm going to miss my baby. I left her with her new sitter on Thursday for a few hours while I ran some errands, and I missed her so much it was like I had a hole in my heart the entire time. When I finally reunited with her, she was all smiles and I wanted to cry--tears of joy for seeing her again, and tears of sadness for leaving her in the first place.

I guess that is typical mom stuff.

Anne is now two months old. Nine weeks ago today, I was in labor at the hospital. Today I'm at home, looking at the snow and drinking tea while Anne takes her morning nap.

Two weeks ago, Anne and I went to Louisiana to visit her grandparents (GG and Paw Paw) and meet her grand aunt Joyce, her cousins, and many of my Louisiana friends. My mom hosted a "sip and see" for Miss Anne, for which we bought her a sweet purple dress:



The week before, we took her to Myrtle Beach (her first trip outside North Carolina!) to meet her "Uncle" Pat and "Aunt" Analisa; on the way back, we stopped in Rock Hill to meet "Uncle" John and "Aunt" Kim.

The quotes above are to indicate that these are friends of ours and not technically Anne's aunts and uncles. The whole idea of calling non-relatives "aunt" and "uncle" is a little strange to me, but I'm getting used to it. For Anne, people we introduce as "aunt" and "uncle" will be people she knows she can trust.

I still want to introduce adults as "Mr." and "Miss," for example, "Mr. Pat" and "Miss Analisa." That's how I grew up. (No one was Mrs., much less Ms., in my childhood world. All females, married or not, were "Miss." They still are. Which I'm pretty sure is a southern thing.)

Anne got her first set of vaccinations this week. That was stressful for both of us. She also got her two-month "well check." She's now 23 inches long and weighs eleven and a half pounds. Her little tuft of hair on the top of her head curls naturally if we don't brush it. It's unbelievably cute. She's a bright-eyed, alert little thing.

Well, there she goes. Making noise on the baby monitor. I guess her nap is over, which means I guess this blog post is over. I don't know if I'll be posting any more often in the coming months, as Anne pretty much takes up all of my attention and I never feel like blogging anyway and I won't be able to blog from work.

My writing, by the way, has suffered. I'm not nearly as good of a writer when I'm 70% asleep, which is almost always. (Right now I'm about 80% asleep.)

Time to go check on Miss Anne!

5 comments:

  1. I will be thinking of you on Monday. It is really hard, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, *I* look forward to your postings. How else am I going to get my fix for one of my favorite Internet people?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh she's so cute, don't worry about work, my mum went to work and I wasn't scarred for life.

    You will benefit from some time away from the nappies and dribble and she will benefit from all the new experiences.

    You wouldn't be mum if you didn't miss her though. Good Luck on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...does anyone even check this blog anymore?"
    As they say, "Is the Pope Catholic?" Of *course*
    someone does. Glad to see a post. And such a sweet smile on that little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim: Thanks! It was hard, but not unbearable. I was sad to leave my baby, but I feel really good about her sitter, so it wasn't as hard as it could have been.

    Jammie: Awwwww, you're making me blush!

    Noonie: Thanks!

    eArThworm: Glad to know I have such a faithful reader as you!

    ReplyDelete