Thursday, February 18, 2010

It’s My Birthday, I Must Say!

“It’s my birthday, I must say!” That’s a quote from an Ed Grimley skit from Saturday Night Live, circa 1985. That quote still makes me laugh. In fact, every February 18, I hear Martin Short’s voice in my head and smile. (I hear his voice more often than that, but perhaps that isn’t something I should share with everyone.)

Anyway, I'm forty today, and I have a newborn. God’s ways are quite amusing sometimes.

It’s been a good day so far. I got an e-card from our realtor, of all people. I was serenaded with a lovely rendition of “Happy Birthday” by my friend and co-worker Robin. Everyone at work seems to remember my birthday, probably thanks to our unofficial social secretary, Miranda.

Miss Anne slept another seven and a half hours last night, which was a nice birthday gift in itself. I hated to wake her up this morning, as she was sleeping so peacefully, but I got her out of her crib, did the saline-and-bulb thing to de-boogerize her nose, changed her, and nursed her. Then I brought her to help wake up her Daddy, and he snuggled with her while I fixed breakfast.

On the way to the sitter’s, Anne and I sang along to tunes from The Sound of Music. After I dropped her off, I put gas in my car and headed to work. Yes, quite the exciting birthday so far!

However ...

February 18 isn't just a big and exciting day for me, y'all. It's a special day for a lot of people. And an ex-planet. And a whole country!

(Drumroll, please)

Happy birthday also to Kim at The Upward Call, John Travolta, my old flame Matt Dillon, Molly Ringwald, Yoko Ono, Jack Palance, Mary Tudor (Bloody Mary), Vanna White, Milos Forman (director of my favorite movie, Amadeus), Toni Morrison, Helen Gurley Brown, Dr. Dre, Juice Newton, Andres Segovia, Boris Pasternak, Dennis DeYoung, Irma Thomas, Cybill Shepherd, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (first published on this day in 1885), and the dwarf planet Pluto (discovered on this day by Clyde Tombaugh in 1930 at Lowell Observatory).

And a very happy Independence Day to the fine folks of The Gambia!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you. And, hey, sometimes the "mundane" is the perfect thing for a birthday. Partying is so overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jammie: I agree! Plus, I'm worn out from all the celebrations that came with having a baby. It's kind of nice to have a "normal" day for my 40th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!
    Felix remembered your birthday also :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday and more importantly CONGRATS on getting to sleep for longer than three hours.

    It is the route to sanity... and I remember vividly being absolutely terrified when mine did it. So much so I woke up at 4 and poked Amy, just to watch her stir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Happy Birthday, a belated one. Cheers to better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete