Thursday, December 3, 2009

Scout: Not a Full Moon Baby

Well, all the predictions that Scout would come on a full moon have turned out to be wrong. Scout resisted the pull of gravity and is still snug in the womb at 39 weeks and 6 days of gestation.

I've been having some signs that my body is "preparing" for labor, but haven't gone into labor yet. I have the Contraction Master up and running for when the real contractions begin. Who knows when that will be--it could be tomorrow, next week, or two weeks from now.

I really don't want to medically induce the little Scout unless it's medically necessary. To me, not knowing the birthday is every bit as exciting as not knowing the sex. I want little Scout to be born when he/she is ready--not when I lose patience.

Still, it's hard to wait. I'm ready to meet this little one. I've been drinking lots of raspberry leaf tea and taking evening primrose oil--both of which are supposed to help with labor. I'm also walking when I can, though a few days of bad weather have prevented that. Most of my maternity leave (so far) has been spent resting and relaxing, reading, playing piano, writing thank-you notes for baby gifts, and working on Scout's baby book.

No "nesting" instinct for me (yet), though. I don't know if that's going to happen. If it is, it had better start soon!

One thing I have noticed: I've definitely felt more anti-social than usual. I've been staying cooped up in the house and haven't had any desire to leave. I've been needing to go to Wal-Mart for three days now, but I just don't want to leave the house. Part of me is treasuring, and grieving, my "me" time--treasuring what little of it I have left, and grieving that life as I know it is about to change forever. It's a lot to deal with. As excited as I am about Scout, I'm a little wary of the unknown that lies ahead of us.

OK, enough of that. Scout's official due date is tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. looking forward to seeing scout. Keep us up to date

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in my prayers... such an exciting time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how honest you are about the process, or journey, that you're going through. I relate to the "me" time thing... I suppose most deeply introverted people might.

    Just curious, are the "get your sleep while you can" bits of advice getting on your nerves yet? I'm not offering that, I'm just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jammie J: HA! You have no idea!!!

    ReplyDelete