Welcome to Term, Scout!



I’m 37 weeks pregnant today, which means I’ve carried our little Scout to term. If Scout were born today, he/she would be consider full-term (not premature) and would most likely be able to come home with us soon afterward.

If Scout were a northbounder like his/her dad, and this pregnancy were an Appalachian Trail thru-hike, Scout would be somewhere in the vicinity of the Bigelows in Maine and the little town of Caratunk.



It’s almost time for Scout to be ferried across the Kennebec! Wow. Friends, that means Scout is really close to Katahdin. Really close to being a real, outside-of-the-womb, human.

Now, if Scout were a southbounder like his/her mama, Scout would be just south of the Smokies.



Holy moly. When you’re a southbounder and are just south of the Smokies, you know you’re almost to Springer. It’s really starting to hit me that Scout’s due date is just three weeks from today. Gulp.

So, what else is going on with Scout, you ask. Scout’s about six pounds right now and is probably about 19 inches long from head to toe. Scout is also, at the moment, trying to get comfortable … ouch! Happily, Scout’s growth rate should slow this week. Good thing, because there is no more room. Here’s a picture of what Scout might look like right now, only Scout is much, much cuter, I’m sure:



As for me, I’ve been having Braxton Hicks contractions (“false contractions”) on and off for a few days now. As I mentioned several days ago, on Tuesday I measured at 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced, which means I’m on my way. I get that old "beached whale" feeling when I lie down, I’m not sleeping well, and I'm getting mild backaches in my lower back, but overall, I’m doing fine. I’m looking forward to this weekend, when my mom comes to visit and helps me get Scout’s room ready for the big arrival home.

Three more weeks. Twenty-one more days. Give or take a few. And I have a week and a half until I start my maternity leave. Better get back to work!

Comments

Popular Posts