Thursday, November 19, 2009

Another “Daily” Update

OK, so I’m not doing so great on the “daily update” thing as we count down the days until Scout is here. If I were to write about what’s happening every day, it would go something like this:

I worked all day today.
Scout is getting bigger and bigger.
Scout is an active little booger!
I’m tired, tired, tired.

So, that’s pretty much my life. You want details? Well … OK.

I worked all day today. It’s development season at work. The “busy season.” I’m averaging about nine and a half hours a day on the job. Sadly, I feel like a slacker; my fellow tech writer and I are so ahead on our deadlines that we haven’t had to work a ridiculous (10+) number of hours each day.

Still, nine and a half hours is tiring, particularly when you’re carrying a growing baby around in your belly. I haven’t had as much opportunity to exercise, which leaves me feeling sluggish and unmotivated to do anything once I get home. I also haven’t done a lot of cooking at night, which means no leftovers for lunch, so I’ve been frequenting local restaurants for my meals. Not good for my health, and not good for my wallet.

Maternity leave will start soon, though. It will be nice to take a break from the busy atmosphere at work, even though I know I’ll probably miss it.

Scout is getting bigger and bigger. This is no lie. I was thinking I might make it through this entire pregnancy without developing stretch marks, but now I’m starting to wonder. Scout has been seriously packing on the ounces for the past week. My poor belly is constantly itching from the stretched skin, and it’s getting harder and harder for me to get out of bed or up from the couch.

Even people at work have noticed the change in my belly over the past seven days. My out-y belly button is even visible from underneath my shirt. How embarrassing, even though it's sort of cute, in a mommy-to-be kind of way.

Scout is an active little booger! Scout is trying his/her old somersault routine, but it’s not working. Still, he/she tries. Scout is kicking and moving all day long, it seems, and into the night. Particularly at night, when I’m trying to go to sleep, it feels like I have a menagerie in my belly. Scout is hiccupping, kicking, turning, moving … it’s crazy.

Oh, and for weeks it seemed I had a heel sticking permanently out from under my right rib. Scout has since moved a little bit, and now the butt is right under my ribs. It’s so sweet when Scout moves and the butt makes a visible bump in my torso. I just pat his/her little bottom and get on with my day. (And the good news is that Scout's still head-down!)

I’m tired, tired, tired. I absolutely cannot sleep. I’m up every hour and a half to pee. I toss and turn, beached-whale-style, trying to get comfortable. I have three pillows in the bed, plus the one I sleep on. It’s ridiculous. I stopped sleeping early in the pregnancy, and it hasn’t gotten any better. It’s gotten worse, actually. People say “the baby will keep you up all night” because it needs to be fed every two hours. At this point, I would give anything for two straight hours of sleep.

The lack of sleep is making me stressed, too, since it leaves me tired and irritable and clumsy. Two more weeks (roughly). While I’ll be waking up every two hours to feed Scout, I’ll at least be free from the iron grip of my teeny-tiny, smushed bladder. And someday, I’ll be able to sleep on my stomach again. Sigh.

So, that’s the Scout update for today! I hit the 38-week mark tomorrow, so I'll be posting the AT maps and weekly update then!

3 comments:

  1. I also cannot wait to not be a slave to my bladder. Seems everytime I run errands I have to stop and go to the bathroom at literally every store I stop in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...half to pee..."?

    You are tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you stick "I'm getting up every hour and a" in front of it, though, it's not so bad. :)

    Sadly, I actually had to go back into this post maybe six times after I published it because I kept finding typos. I am definitely tired!

    ReplyDelete