Monday, November 9, 2009

25 Days to Go

Warning: This is a very rambly post.

Scout’s due date is 25 days away. It’s hard to imagine Scout will make it that long, as low as he/she is right now. I went on a walk around town Saturday afternoon, and thought I was going to start crying on the downhills—the pressure from the baby’s head against my pelvis was like nothing I’d ever felt before.

Friday night, Hubster and I went to see a local production of “Annie,” so Scout was able to get his/her daily dose of Broadway musical tunes. The Hubster had never seen “Annie” (the play or the movie), and he loved it. I consider that part of my job as Wife: To introduce my poor, non-cultured husband to Broadway musicals. Some would view that as cruel, but not me!

Saturday was a work day for me. I had no choice but to bring Scout, so the two of us headed to work. Despite all the vigorous kicks to my ribs, I managed to get quite a bit of work done. It’s getting harder and harder to focus on work, between the constant moving in my belly and the constant flow of my thoughts away from work and toward all the things that still need to be done. My last day of work is in just over two weeks, so maybe I’m having some sort of maternal short-timer’s syndrome. Luckily (or, actually, due to the fact that I’ve been putting in so many hours), we’re ahead on our documentation goals, so there’s no sense of urgency or panic.

Saturday night, Hubster and I were going to go see Walkin’ Jim Stoltz in Black Mountain, or, if we were too tired, we were going to go to an event at the church we’re thinking about joining.

Friday evening and part of Saturday, we kept having conversations like, “What do you want to do Saturday night?” “I don’t know, what do you want to do?” “Oh, I don’t know. I don’t really care. Either would be fun. What do you want to do?”

Finally, I said, “Hubster, I know what I want to do. I want you to tell me, honestly, what you want to do, and we’ll see if we’re on the same page here.”

So he said, “I don’t want to do anything. I’m tired, and I’m sick of driving all over creation. I just want to sit in my easy chair and watch football all night.”

And I said, “Good. I don’t want to do anything either. I’m exhausted. I think I’ll go to bed at 8:00.”

So he watched football and I made split pea soup and homemade biscuits, and we had the most wonderful evening together, just the two of us. And I went to bed early.

Yesterday, I met my mom in Asheville for a shopping spree. I hate shopping sprees and was much too tired to go on one, but with the baby due in 25 days, there were things I needed to get done. Stuff like …

Buying nursing bras: Who knew that buying nursing bras was even more unpleasant than buying regular bras? The only positive of that experience was that nursing bras are a whole lot cheaper than regular ones.

Getting Thanksgiving tablecloths: Is that a “mom” thing? We’re having Thanksgiving dinner at our house (yes, that’s one week before Scout is due), and I needed two tablecloths and some napkins. So we went to Target for that and got to visit my brother, who is a manager there.

Going to Babies R Us: We still needed a lot of little stuff from my registry, some of which we really needed prior to Scout’s entrance. So we went to Babies R Us and got some basics—washcloths, towels, bassinet sheets, a diaper pail, diapers, etc.

Get glasses: By “glasses,” I mean the kind you drink out of. Hubster and I have about four glasses, which works fine for two people but won’t work so well when we have a crowd of people at our house for Thanksgiving.

Spend time with my mom: She’s been in Louisiana since September and just came back to NC in time for Ella’s birthday last week. So it was good to spend some time with her while doing all this shopping. Plus, she bought me some stuff, including a cute maternity nightgown and robe for me to wear at the hospital. Thanks, Mrs. Gwen!

By the time I got home last night, I was more exhausted than I’d been all weekend. Unfortunately for Hubster, I was cranky, too. Fortunately for me, I have a patient and forgiving husband.

OK, time to get to work.

2 comments:

  1. I am also not a fan of buying nursing bras! Where, if you don't mind me asking, did you find a cute maternity nightgown? Wearing my shorts under my belly is becoming less and less practical by the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it at Motherhood Maternity. It's a nightgown and it comes with a kimono-type robe. It wasn't cheap and I wouldn't have bought it for myself, but my mom was feeling generous!

    ReplyDelete