Friday, October 23, 2009

Six Weeks to Go!



Wow. I opened a blank Word document at 8:00 this morning to write a quick “Week 34” update, and here I am at 1:00 and I’m just getting started.

Work is busy! Time is flying!

Northbound Scout is still in the Whites, just north of Mount Washington. Dad and I are so proud of you, Scout! You’ve conquered the Mount Washington of your time in the womb!



Southbound Scout is just south of Erwin, TN, close to where the trail meets I-26. I-26! That’s, like, not that far from my house! Before I know it, Scout will be right here in the sleepy little trail town of Franklin!



Things are starting to feel surreal now that I have only six weeks until my due date. Six weeks. That’s nothing. When I was six weeks pregnant, I was still in the shock/denial stage of the whole experience. Me? Pregnant at 39? Little Miss I-Have-No-Maternal-Instincts Me?

Now I’m 100% mommy-to-be, talking to this little kicker in my womb, cooing over baby stuff, and telling Hubster silly, sappy things like, “Oh, I can’t wait to experience childbirth with you.”

Scout has already changed my life. For the better, too, I think.

Speaking of Scout (heh heh), let’s see what’s probably going on with the (not so) little one is doing at 34 weeks.

Scout’s about four and three-quarters pounds and 18 inches long from head to toe. Do you realize … that’s not a whole lot shorter than most babies are when they’re born. Gulp. Scout’s getting fat, too—but that’s a really, really good thing! He/she is becoming rounder and more “baby-looking,” and his/her skin is getting smoother than ever.

On the inside, Scout’s central nervous system is maturing, and so are Scout’s lungs (hence the rhythmic little hiccups I’ve been feeling).

If Scout were born today, assuming he/she is as healthy as expected, Scout would probably have no health problems at all. We’re out of the woods on that one, Scout (God willing).

Here’s what little Scout might look like this week:



As for me, if you read my post from earlier this week, you know that I’ve been overtaken by the general discomfort of late-term pregnancy. My maternity clothes are feeling too small, and it’s nearly impossible to sleep comfortably, no matter what position I’m in. I wish it were possible to sleep on my hands and knees.

I’m tired, too. Being pregnant while working 10+ hours a day during development season at work is definitely taking its toll. But I’m still loving work, so that’s good.

My biggest problem these days is my lack of appetite. I pick at my food. I don’t ever want anything to eat. All I want is water and juice. Nothing tastes good to me. This is very frustrating because I know Scout needs the nutrients … but I get all gaggy when I try to eat anything.

I do have some good news on the digestive front, though: my morning nausea seems to be gone. I hope. It seems to be helping to eat a big spoonful of peanut butter first thing every morning. Let’s hope that’s the solution I needed. I get all gaggy with peanut butter, too (particularly first thing in the morning), but I feel better after I eat it.

Next week, Northbound Scout will be in Maine (Maine!), and Southbound Scout will be approaching the Smokies. We’re almost there!

No comments: