Friday, September 25, 2009

Thirty Weeks



Wow. Scout and I have finally hit the big 3-0. Thirty weeks down, ten to go. Seventy days. Gulp.

Little Scout is over three pounds now, and about 15 and a half inches long, head to toe. Scout’s brain is starting to wrinkle and fold, thanks to the rapid growth of brain cells. His/her fingernails and toenails are finally “finished,” and the bone marrow is now completely in charge of producing red blood cells. You’re on your own there now, Scout!

As we could see in the 3-D ultrasound, Scout can open and close his/her eyes, and at this point should be able to respond to light.

Here’s an approximation of what Scout looks like this week:



Now, to the trail. If Scout and I were southbounders, we’d be somewhere just north of Atkins, Virginia, around Va. 617.



If Scout were hiking northbound with his/her dad, they would be in the vicinity of Stratton Pond in Vermont. Yes! They’ve made it to Vermont!



Ah, me. Poor southbounder that I am, I’ve been in Virginia for the last eight weeks. In that time, northbound Scout has gone from Pennsylvania to New Jersey to New York to Connecticut to Massachusetts to Vermont. Those northbounders always seem to have it easier.

I’m doing pretty well. The big belly is making life more uncomfortable, of course; I actually bought a pair of flip-flops this week, and I hate flip-flops. But it’s easier to slip on a pair of shoes than it is to try to tie my running shoes or Velcro-shut my Tevas.

Sleeping is an issue. The heavy belly is one thing, but the multiple nightly bathroom runs are another thing entirely. Oh, my. What a pain to wake up at 3 a.m. and feel like your bladder is going to burst if you don’t get to the bathroom right now, and I mean right now! And then to repeat the procedure again at 4:30, and again at 6:00 … it’s tiring. I honestly think I’ll get more rest once the baby is born. Two-hour feedings seems slightly more preferable to thirty- to ninety-minute bathroom runs throughout the night.

I'm continuing to exercise almost every day, and I'm eating well. I've seemed stalled at an 18-pound weight gain for the last couple of weeks, but that should change soon, as Scout should be gaining a half-pound a week for the next few weeks.

Starting tomorrow, I’ll be in single digits in the weekly countdown. Today I have ten weeks to go; tomorrow, nine weeks and six days. Just makes me shake my head.

No comments: