Moving Right Along



Here we are, Scout and I, moving along down this little imaginary long-distance trail called pregnancy. As southbounders, we’ve reached Bailey Gap Shelter, which is a few miles north of Pearisburg, Virginia:



If we were northbounders like Scout’s dad, we’ve be at one of the Mt. Wilcox Lean-tos—north of Great Barrington, Mass., and south of Tyringham, Mass.:



Yes, we’re 28 weeks into this thing. Just 12 weeks to go on this unique little journey. I feel like I should be panicking, but I’m not. I’m cool as a cucumber, which is doubly weird because I’ve been off happy pills for six months. You’d think I would be clinically depressed and having panic attacks. Nope. And I’m actually looking forward to the process of labor and childbirth. I know. Weird.

Here are some of the Scout-y highlights for this week:

If Scout were an average-sized baby, he/she would be about two and a quarter pounds and about 14.5 inches from head to toe. However, Scout is small for his/her age, which is not surprising since I’ve always been small for my age. (We’ll just ignore my chubby adolescent years, won’t we. Yes, we will.)

Regardless of size, little Scout has eyelashes and can blink his/her eyes. Little Scout … blink if you can hear me, OK?

Just like mom, Scout is adding more body fat to the ol’ bod every day. According the experts, I have about 11 more pounds to gain. Gulp. That’ll put me at about 30 pounds total—right in the middle of the recommended 25- to 35-pound gain.

Strangely enough, I feel better right now than I’ve felt for the entire pregnancy. Sure, the belly is making it hard to balance and stand up from sitting (or sit up from lying down), and the morning sickness has come back (but not in full force), plus I can’t sleep at night due to a mixture of have-to-pee-itis and something like Restless Leg Syndrome, but other than that, I feel really good. I feel happy. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Actually, I don’t just feel happy. I feel I’m floating in happy dust. I’m not going to feel guilty about it either, as I’m wont to do. It is a joy to be able to embrace life like this. I’m just going to enjoy the rest of this pregnancy and look forward to little Scout’s arrival.

Oh, here’s a picture of what Scout might look like right now:



See that outy belly button? I’m not quite there yet, but I still have almost three months to go. I’m not sure where Scout thinks he/she will find room to grow in my belly, but Scout’s a smart kid and will figure something out. And my belly button will probably pop out in the process. If it does, you, dear readers, will be among the first to know. I might even include a picture.

At that point, I can truly accuse you of navel-gazing.

(Seriously. I won’t really include a picture.)

Comments

Popular Posts