Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Hungry Hubster

So I was working diligently at my job at about 9:50 this morning when my cell phone buzzed. It was my beloved Hubster, calling from his business trip in Bloomington, Indiana! My little heart fluttered in a way that it never will for Rick.

"Well, good morning, Hubster! How are you today?"

"Oh, I am terrible." Poor thing sounded so sad. So lonesome. So helpless.

"What's wrong, Sweetie?" I asked, expecting to hear him respond with something like, "I'm just so lonely for my wonderful Wifey."

But he said, "All I want is to find a good mom-and-pop diner and have a good breakfast, but there's nothing here in Bloomington but chain restaurants!"

Oh. "And do you miss your Wifey, too?"

"Oh, of course! That too! But my belly is sooo hungry and I can't find a good breakfast place!"

So I went to Switchboard.com and looked up diners in Bloomington, Indiana. Sure enough, most of the "diners" were chains (Waffle House, Bob Evans), and some of the listed restaurants, such as McDonald's and Starbucks, weren't diners at all.

But I did find one: the Cloverleaf Family Restaurant. So I gave him the address and he punched it into the Garmin I gave him for Christmas last year.

The whole time he drove, following the directions, we talked on the phone. The Garmin predicted that he would arrive at 10:02 a.m.

We had a false alarm when he was met with this sad sight, apparently a Cloverleaf Family Restaurant that had closed down.



I could almost see the tears welling up in poor Hubster's eyes ... but then we realized that the closed Cloverleaf was at the wrong address.

Maybe they moved and that's the old location, we figured.

After several red lights, and the Garmin was now predicting a 10:06 a.m. arrival time at the address I had given him.

"Ten-oh-six?! Oh Wifey, what happens if I get there and they tell me they stopped serving breakfast at 10:05? Ohhh, my belly is crying for a good greasy-spoon breakfast!"

Luckily, he passed a Bob Evans just a couple of blocks before the Cloverleaf. So at least he had a Plan B.

When he got to the Cloverleaf Family Restaurant, he saw a sign that said "Breakfast Served All Day." There were people inside. I thought Hubster was going to cry tears of joy.

What an emotionally draining morning for a hungry Hubster!

Technology can be a wonderful thing sometimes. Thanks to the Internet, the cell phone, and the Garmin, my Hubster is now filling his belly with the lip-smacking, artery-clogging breakfast of his dreams. I just hope the breakfast was worth it!

2 comments:

Kathryn Magendie said...

Hi! *smiling* -- someone mentioned you today-- I received a call from a woman I'd never met who called to talk about Tender Graces - anyway - she was telling me about a class she once took and that there was a woman in the class that was so nice and personable - and it was YOU - small world!! :-)

Waterfall said...

Kathryn: Very cool! I wonder who you were talking to ... must have been someone from the Charles Price class I took a couple of years ago, since I think that's the only "class" I've taken since we moved here. Would love to know who it was!

Thanks for stopping by!