Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A-to-Z Thoughts on Pregnancy

Anemia: I learned at my last doctor's appointment that I'm anemic. Apparently, something like 40% of women become anemic during pregnancy. The doctor prescribed iron pills, since my diet, plus the prenatal vitamins, didn't seem to be doing the trick.

Baby Registry: I've been getting a lot of questions about this. We don't have one yet. We probably won't have one until Hubster is done with camp.

Cats: Hideaway is still snuggling up to Scout every night. It's uncomfortable for me to lie on my back, so I'm having to lie on my side. Hideaway gets right next to my belly and leans on it. I worry about poor Hideaway and Beau; they are going to have a serious adjustment to make once Scout is born and they are no longer the center of attention.

Diet: My diet has been so-so. It's hard to eat the 2,000 calories I'm supposed to be eating each day. I get full after a few bites of a sandwich. I'm trying to eat five or six small meals a day. Everything gives me heartburn, which makes me have less of an appetite. But heartburn is not a bad thing. (See "Tums.")

Ella: Scout's big cousin, Ella, is almost nine months old. Ella's mom and I are already planning to have "cousin pictures" taken once Scout is old enough.

Furniture: I've ordered my glider rocker and ottoman (Thanks, Mrs. Gwen!), but nothing else. Again, we'll have to wait until Hubster is finished with camp before we can go shopping for a crib and other furniture items.

Gestational Diabetes: Got tested for it at the same time they tested me for anemia. Fortunately, I don't seem to have it, though I was worried because I've been so thirsty. (See "Insomnia.")

Hubster: I am dying of loneliness without him, and I'm so glad camp is almost over. He's going to be such a good dad.

Insomnia: I cannot sleep to save my life. Not only is my growing belly uncomfortable, but it's sitting right smack on top of my bladder, and I'm having to get up 100 times a night to go. I try to drink less water, but when I do that, I get so thirsty I can't stand it.

J: If we have a boy, one of Scout's initials will be "J." (No, we're not going to name him Janina. I promise.)

Kicking: Baby is kicking. I can still barely feel it, and even then I have to be perfectly still and concentrate really hard.

Love: I'm feeling lots of love these days--love for family, love for friends, love for my cats. So that's good; it helps stave off the fact that I'm dying of loneliness. (See "Hubster.")

Machines: I'm referring to exercise machines here. Since walking is a challenge (see "Walking"), I'm finding myself at the gym more, which I hate, since the weather has been so nice. The elliptical machine gives me an especially good workout, and I'm working with the Nautilus machines some. It's a challenge because I don't want to push my body too hard, yet I do want to give it a good dose of exercise.

Names: We've picked out names. I guess they are subject to change, but we decided on these a while back and have stuck with them so far.

Oxytocin: As stated on this website, oxytocin is "a chemical messenger released in the brain chiefly in response to social contact, but its release is especially pronounced with skin-to-skin contact. In addition to providing health benefits, this hormone-like substance promotes bonding patterns and creates desire for further contact with the individuals inciting its release." It's instrumental in the initial bonding between mother and child, and also in breastfeeding. I'm looking forward to floating with Scout in an ocean of oxytocin once Scout is outside the womb.

Peeing: See "Insomnia."

Qualifying Child: Scout is going to be a "qualifying child," according to the IRS. I learned this in my H&R Block class. Thanks to young Scout, we might actually get a tax refund again this year. Who knew?

Resentment: I feel kind of bad because I know of women who desperately want children but can't have them, and I know there has to be some degree of resentment for a person (like me) who wasn't actually planning to have kids but managed to get pregnant anyway. I don't know what to do to fix that situation. I guess there's nothing I can do, except understand that they can't help the way they're feeling, and not feel negative toward them for it.

Singing: I am singing all the time. I really hope Scout doesn't mind my singing voice. It's not horrible, but it's not great, either. But it's Mommy's voice, so Scout will love it. I hope.

Tums: I love Tums! They are my favorite candy. Hubster always has to hide them so I don't eat them all. But now that I'm getting pregnancy-related heartburn, I can eat all the Tums I want! (Well, maybe not all I want, but I'm allowed to have up to six a day!)

Uterus: My uterus now contains a 12 (or so) ounce Scout.

Van: I still love my minivan.

Walking: I think I'm going to give up walking, or at least walking outside. Baby is parked on my bladder, so I can't walk for more than a mile or so without having to go. If it's not too hot this weekend, I'm going hiking. There are lots more "bathrooms" on the trails than there are on the Greenway in town.

Xylophone (because "X" is always for xylophone): Should I start by getting Scout a toy xylophone, or should I go straight to the kiddie piano?

Yuck: I thought I would enlighten and educate myself by watching a couple of childbirth shows on TLC last night. YUCK. Rather than make me feel more comfortable with the idea of childbirth, it convinced me that I want to be knocked out cold with drugs before I ever go into labor. (Not really ... well, sorta ...)

Zzzzzz: That's how I feel right now. Guess I'd better get ready for work anyway.

3 comments:

  1. re: letter "J", you could always call Scout "Jammie" *tee hee*

    re: letter "R", I'm one of those "can't get pregnant to save my life" people, but I don't feel resentment. I save that for people who don't appreciate the miracle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on singing! When I was pregnant with my daughter, and we would stand in church to sing, she would get very active and kick vigorously. She was be quieter when the music stopped. When she was fifteen months old, she started trying to sing. She grew up to play the piano and sing. Your little Scout will probably love to sing, too! I can't imagine bringing up children in a home without music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First: Jessie is a great name for a boy or a girl. Just remove the "i" if its a boy.

    Second: Have you tried the Rolaids Softchews? They are pretty yummy and they work really fast.

    ReplyDelete