Friday, July 10, 2009

NIneteen Weeks Today

I am 19 weeks pregnant today. Know what that means? It means I’ll be 20 weeks next week.

Know what that means?

That means I’ll be at the halfway point of my pregnancy. Starting next Friday, on each day that dawns, I’ll be progressing further into the second half of my pregnancy.

Let’s see what the little darlin’ is up to this week (adapted from BabyCenter.com):

How your baby's growing:

Scout’s sensory development is exploding! His or her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.

Scout weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. The arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of Scout’s little body now. Scout’s kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on the scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on the skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.


I thought BabyCenter's picture for this week was amusing:



I thought the accompanying 3-D image, however, was rather disturbing:



As for me, I look pretty much the same. No huge belly yet, but definitely much bigger than I'm used to. Here's a picture of me with my cousin Rachael and my Aunt Joyce a few weeks ago:



Oh, you want to know how I'm doing and not how I look. Silly me! I’m doing pretty well. I don’t feel great because I’m not running 20 miles a week. But I feel pretty good. It’s getting harder to sleep at night; my belly is just big enough that I’m having trouble getting comfortable, despite the body pillow my sis gave me.

Another nighttime problem is heartburn—apparently a very common side effect of pregnancy. Oh my, but I’ve never had heartburn like this. I rarely get heartburn in real life. This is unfortunate, since Tums are just about my favorite candy of all time. Now, finally, I have an excuse to eat Tums!

I’ll be getting an ultrasound a little later today and will post pictures just as soon as I get them scanned!

No comments:

Post a Comment