Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Whoosh Whoosh Whoosh

I heard Scout's heartbeat today for the first time!

Mine went "whoosh ... whoosh ... whoosh ... whoosh ... whoosh." (A good runner's heart rate, have I).

Scout's went "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh."

I cried. I wish Hubster could have been there. I didn't realize they were going to be able to "play the heartbeat" yet, but the midwife said we might be able to hear it since I'm thin. So we tried it, and it worked.

At first all we heard was my slow hearbeat. For like five minutes. Of course, I was getting all worried thinking, "What if Scout isn't alive in there?"

Then ...

whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh

Yep. Scout's still there. Heart beating at a healthy 160 bpm.

I go in for a second ultrasound in two weeks to test for Down Syndrome. This is a standard procedure for those of us who are of "advanced maternity age."

Hubster will be with me. I'm going to ask them to play the heartbeat again for him. It was so cool, and I hated that he wasn't with me to hear it for the first time.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! It's one of the best sounds in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie McManusMay 20, 2009 at 3:59 PM

    That's the best! You'll get to hear it each time you go now. Wait til the baby gets bigger and kicks at the doppler (the tool they use to pick up the heartbeat). That's really funny. Some babies love and some try to kick it away. Of course, my child always kicked it away. We'll see if the second one is as misbehaving as the first... so far, so good.

    ReplyDelete