Sunday, May 31, 2009

Schubert Impromptu in E-flat, Op. 90, No. 2

Here is clip from a video* of Murray Perahia playing the next intermediate piece I'll be working on: Schubert's E-flat Impromptu (Op. 90, No. 2).



*The YouTube clip is from an encore Perahia played at Barbicon Hall, London, on Feb. 5, 2009. Warning: It cuts off before the end of the piece. If you want to hear a slower version, and one that doesn't cut off, here is Krystian Zimerman playing the same piece. I love the speed of the faster interpretation, but I also love the more relaxed sound of Zimerman's version.

I actually played this piece when I was in tenth grade (over 20 years ago!). Oh, to be completely honest, it's one of the gazillion pieces I started to learn, but never finished, when I was in high school. Deborah and I decided it would be fun, and not too stressful, and not too difficult (considering my limited time these days) to re-visit this one, which I've always loved. It's also a fun performance piece, in case I ever get up the nerve to play in front of anyone other than the cats.

In other piano news, we decided to set aside the Bach and Beethoven for now, but to keep working on Shostakovich's "Dances of the Dolls." Until I'm able to make a bigger commitment to piano, this will have to do for now.

Plus, I think Scout will love "growing" up to the Shostakovich while in the womb, and beyond.

No comments: