Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Randomness

1. I thoroughly enjoyed being a spectator at the Flying Pig, but oh, how I wanted to be out there with the rest of the runners! I’ve already decided that, God willing, I’m going to start training for the next annual Flying Pig Half-Marathon in February of 2010. That will give me three months to train. I bet I can do it.

2. I hate the words “preggo” and “preggers.” I think “preggo,” in particular, is the ugliest word ever—yet it seems to be a popular term. Blech. I prefer “pregnant”—yes, the actual word. Even better is “with child,” even though it is a bit antiquated-sounding. But “preggo” and “preggers” just sound so … coarse.

3. I’m back in touch with my friend Jammie J. in California. I’m thrilled to be back in touch with her. I’ve missed her.

4. I’ve begun reading Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo. I remember my mom reading it when I was a child, and how she went on and on about how wonderful it was. I’ve always wanted to read it; you might say it’s been on my personal reading list since, oh, about 1980. I finally started reading it yesterday and am already 60 pages in. I’m going to like this book.

5. I’m also reading Uneven Ground: Appalachia Since 1945 by Ronald D. Eller. I’m taking a break from it, though. I haven’t read fiction in a while, and I was really craving fiction.

6. I don’t see how people in their first trimester manage to be productive at work. I feel like my brain cells are deteriorating by the millisecond. I honestly feel like I am shutting down mentally.

7. I’m a little over two-thirds of the way through my first trimester. I am so ready to be 3/3 of the way through.

4 comments:

  1. Very Nice blog with a ton of informative information. Can you recommend any decent forums or social groups to join that cover these types of topics. Also, I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information instead of the typical “I think” mentality that you see so much on the internet these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the term preggo either... just plain pregnant is fine with me! :) Ella loves the idea of her cousin though, whatever people call it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I bet you can train in February of 2010, too. You are just that determined!

    2. I totally agree with you. Antiquated terms are OK. There's class in antiquated. Although, to be honest, "knocked up" even sounds better than those other terms (which I refuse to type -- I'll bet it just about killed you to type them, huh?).

    3. You are so sweet. I'm glad you're back to blogging regularly. Usually people who are expecting are constipated, apparently it's had the opposite effect on you? :P

    4. I will not buy new books until I read my old books. I will write that on the chalkboard until it is my motto.

    5. *blink*

    6. I think they call that "pregnancy brain", which then turns into "mommy brain"... it is that scenario which causes children to think they are smarter than their parents.

    7. I'm sure... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a mommy-in-the-making! Wonderful! If I had been coming around more often, I would have known sooner. Congratulations to you and the Hubster! May these months of gestation be months of wonder and anticipation and blessing.

    ReplyDelete