Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day Trip to Joyce Kilmer


I think that I shall never see
A trunk as happy as this tree:



Today was a most beautiful Easter day, and Hubster and I decided to drive out to Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest to see the famous old-growth trees. I also wanted to test a lightweight backpack I've had for several years but have never used for a long-distance hike, so I packed it like I was going backpacking and ended up with a pack weight of about 22 pounds.

I couldn't help but think of Mary as I hiked along and admired the rue anemone, trillium, wild phlox, and spring beauties along the trail. I know she would have enjoyed that hike. Getting out into the woods is one way I can honor her memory, since she enjoyed hiking so much. I regret that we never got to go on a hike together--particularly after talking about doing so for nearly a year--but at least I can take more advantage of the opportunities to hike now.

It wasn't a long hike, but it was long enough to see how the pack felt on my shoulders, hips, etc., going up and down hills.

Here's a photo of the Hubster next to a big tree:



Here's another cool pic of a big tree:



These photos are taking forever to load, so I'm going to post all of them on Facebook instead. If you don't belong to Facebook but would like to see the pictures anyway, let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Waterfall~
    I would love to see the pictures. I started checking in with your blogging via....something I don't know...Ah yes Dan's trail journal. I met him at CDB in 07. I am Committee Chair at Troop 895 in Sarasota Florida. My kids have never stopped talking about it. They were there again to go rafting. Great man by the way and he told me about the Pacific Trail trip and I found you and your blog world. I have enjoyed checking in with you every so often. Who are you on Facebook. I don't know your real name except for waterfall. I am "Cynthia Flynn-Soulandros" Let me know if you are open to friends on FB.

    ReplyDelete