Water-Wee Scout

I can't believe this is happening. Maybe if I blog it, that will make it more real.

Sheltowee and I are expecting a wee babe in November of 2009. "Water-Wee" is a mix of "Waterfall" and "Sheltowee." "Water-Wee" is also a little difficult to say and results in what sounds like Elmer Fudd saying "watery." In addition, it conjures up images of tee-tee, which isn't the most pleasant thought, particularly considering the number of wet diapers I'm going to see in the next few years.

So we've decided to call our embryo "Scout." Why? Well, for one thing, it's a good unisex name. If it's a boy, we can take comfort in the fact that Boy Scouts are resourceful, trustworthy, clean, and all that. And if it's a girl ... well, any good reader knows that "Scout" is a very cool name for a girl, since it is the nickname of one of my favorite literary characters of all time--Scout Finch from Harper Lee's novel To Kill a Mockingbird.

Besides, Sheltowee is an Eagle Scout and a professional Boy Scout, plus he's really good at all that scout-like stuff, like triangulating and knot-tying and fire-building and the like. "Scout" just makes sense.

I'll be writing my thoughts about this whole thing on this blog. It's a private blog for now, and--who knows--it may remain a private blog. I still have a good seven or so weeks before my chances of miscarriage decrease. So I don't want to jump the gun. For the time being, this little blog will be for my eyes only ... and yours, if I invited you to read it.

Comments

Popular Posts