Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reading Meme

I found this one at Belinda's blog. Feel free use it on your own blog or on Facebook ... and if you do, let me know so I can read your answers!

1. To mark your page you: use a bookmark, bend the page corner, leave the book open face down? I've always been one to bend the page corner ... but in the last few years, I've become more of a bookmark person. Usually the "bookmark" is the pen I'm using to scribble notes in the margins. I guess I'm a born book-defacer, whether bending the pages or committing marginalia.

2. Do you lend your books? Not often. My books are my children. If I do lend a book, it's usually for one of two reasons: (1) it's a book I don't particularly value, so if I never get it back, it's not a big deal ... I might even be glad to get rid of it; (2) it's to someone I really trust.

3. You find an interesting passage: you write in your book or NO WRITING IN BOOKS! For me, reading a book without a pen in my hand is like going out in public wearing only my underwear. I suppose I could do it, but it would feel really weird. I always write in my books.

4. Dust jackets - leave it on or take it off. I don't have much experience with dust jackets, since most of my books are paperbacks. I generally find dust jackets annoying. If I am reading a book with a dust jacket, I'll usually keep it on and use one of the flaps as a bookmark.

5. Hard cover, paperback, skip it and get the audio book? Paperbacks. It would be nice to have a library full of hardback books, but I don't think that will ever happen. I like the lightweight-ness of paperbacks. They're much easier to read in bed, and in the tub. I enjoy audio books if I have a long drive or a long run ahead of me.

6. Do you shelve your books by subject, author, or size and color of the book spines? Usually they are shelved by subject, then author, but they've been completely out of order ever since we moved into our new house.

7. Buy it or borrow it from the library? I prefer to buy books, since I like to write in them. (And there is just something thrilling about buying a book. I suppose other people feel the same way about shoes or houses.) Really, I think of library books as "other people's children." It's nice to have them visit, but I they don't feel right because they're not mine. I do use the library a lot, though. If I actually bought every book I wanted to read, I wouldn't be able to buy groceries.

8. Do you put your name on your books - scribble your name in the cover, fancy bookplate, or stamp? I put my name in them. Usually I just write my name. I'm not sure why I do this. Habit, I guess. My books are my babies. I guess I need to claim some sort of ownership. I do have some "ex libris" bookplates, which I use on my hardback "nice" books.

9. Most of the books you own are rare and out of print books or recent publications? A few rare and old books, all belonging to my husband. Mostly more recent (meaning within the last 300 years) books. I don't tend to buy "new" fiction.

10. Page edges - deckled or straight? Straight.

11. How many books do you read at one time? Anywhere between three and six. Right now I'm working on four.

12. Be honest, ever tear a page from a book? Once I did by accident. I was reading some long Wordsworth poem and was so into it that I turned the page too fast and it tore. I felt bad about that. My books are my children. Would I tear a limb off a child? I don't think so!

2 comments:

  1. Ver-r-r-r-y-y interesting, indeed! I do love your answers. If I did it, I'd probably just get straight to the point with one or two word answers and they would be totally boring. Not so with you. Must be nice to be witty and interesting you instead of dull and boring me. Or maybe it's just that I'm up too late, as usual, and my brain is already asleep. ZZZzz...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a book nerd just like me, I love it! Have you ever actually tried renting books? How do you feel about the whole book-renting thing in generalm, things like BookSwim (which works like Netflix)?

    ReplyDelete