Monday, March 16, 2009

Gripes

I'm sick today and don't have the energy to do much of anything. So I'm going to write down a few gripes here. When you read these, you might get the impression that I'm a complainer. I'm not, generally. Most of the time I feel like I'm basking in the wonder of life. Today, not so much.

1. Hideaway Cat is driving both Hubster and me bonkers. She will not go in the litterbox, no matter what. We've followed all the conventional wisdom--bought a third litterbox, changed to a non-clumping clay litter, punished her, put the litterbox in the same rooms where she was pooping/peeing, moved the litterboxes all over the house, etc. We bought a nice rug for our living room, to go under the table and chairs because the chairs were scratching up the wood floor. She's pooped on that rug so much (including having diarrhea) that we've pretty much realized we need to throw the rug out. Good thing we only spent $90 on it, as opposed to the $150 and $200 rugs we'd been considering.

2. I would like to go one day, just one day, where I don't have to think about, smell, or clean up cat poo.

3. My stomach hurts. Really hurts.

4. My books have been out of order for about a year and a half now (including when we were at the old house, and when several hundred were in storage for all that time). Now that we're in the new house, they're more disordered than ever. I'm generally not all that particular about things being in order ... except when it comes to books. I need to set aside an entire weekend (or week) to put them back in order.

5. Hubster and I are planning to go hiking for 10 days. But we won't go if we can't find someone nice enough to come to our house every day to feed the cats and clean Hideaway's poop and/or pee out of the carpet.

6. Guess how much money we've spent on carpet shampoo vac rentals in the last six months. I don't want to guess. I don't know, but I know it's in the hundreds of dollars. Fortunately my friend Janet is letting me borrow her Hoover now.

7. Cat litter boxes are not cheap. Neither is cat litter. Except for the non-clumping clay litter. And Hideaway won't touch that stuff.

8. The vet can't find a thing wrong with her. His guess is that she's getting senile.

9. Other than the soiling of our carpets, she's as sweet and lovable and good-natured as ever.

10. I think this whole cat thing is stressing me out.

1 comment:

  1. My first thought was take her to the vet, but at the end, you said you had done that. My suggestion would be to lock her in a bathroom, or other small room with no carpeting, with a cat litter box on one end and food and drink on the other end and keep here there for a while, maybe for a full day, to "re-train" her. You might want to put some of her poop you've scraped up from the carpet in the cat litter box to prompt her to use it. Hope this works if you decide to try it. The only other alternative I can think of is to cage her while inside, and uncage her outside to do her business. Gosh, I hate that she's doing this!

    ReplyDelete