Saturday, February 7, 2009

Just Writing

It's Saturday night, and I don't have much to write, but I thought I'd check in before reading a bit and going to bed.

Today was my first Saturday off since early October. My first two-day weekend in five months. I thought of doing lots of things--making a king cake, going shopping for some jeans before my last decent pair dies on me, etc. I ended up going to the town of Highlands, which involved a curvy drive through some of the most scenic areas of western North Carolina. Hardly anyone was out this morning, so I had the road to myself and got to drive as slowly as I wanted. Nice because there was a lot to stop and look at.

So I went to Buck's Coffee in Highlands. I keep inadvertently calling it Highlands Coffee. My favorite coffee shop in Baton Rouge was Highland Coffees, so it makes sense. I guess. I sat and wrote for several hours. What did I write? Nothing much. No fiction, no deep thoughts, nothing like that. I just did some easy writing, a bit of thinking, some comments on some thoughts I've had over the last few days.

I filled up four or five pages of my notebook, then went on a walk. It was so nice to have a day where I didn't have to talk to another soul.

Then I came home and went on my weekly long run. Today's "long run" was only about seven miles (I went 10 last Saturday, and 9 each of the two Saturdays before that). Next Saturday is supposed to be a 12-miler. My half-marathon isn't until the first weekend in May, but I've decided to do longer long runs, as if I'm training for an actual marathon. One of these days I'll run that marathon ...

I've been very out of touch with everyone (as usual) and haven't written much here (obviously). I'm reading about six different books right now and taking a free online course on literary analysis of the Old Testament from Genesis to Joshua. Plus, I'm Marketing Chair for my county's Relay For Life effort this year. Anything else? Oh. I'm helping direct a discussion group of C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity. Yep, I'm busy.

That's pretty much my life these days. I'm feeling very happy. Funny that I should feel so happy, considering the recession and all the negativity on TV.

But ... I haven't been watching TV. I guess ignorance is bliss.

OK, time for reading and bed.

No comments: