Sunday, November 2, 2008

Putting Away Childish Things?

Most of our boxes are unpacked. Today I unpacked boxes that I haven't unpacked in years. These are the boxes that got stacked in the back of overstuffed closets, that were among the first to be loaded into storage, that have been taped shut, some of them, for years. These are my journals.



For the first time in my life (I think), I have a place (other than taped-up boxes) to store my journals. These notebooks date back to 1980 (when I was 10), though I didn't actually begin writing every single day until I was 13 or 14. And I haven't stopped.



I know this is probably navel-gazing. But I learned how to use the "macro" feature on Hubster's camera and think it's really cool to look at handwriting up close. Don't you?



As I read these few journal entries, part of me wants to laugh at myself. Some of them are funny. My penchant for hyperbole apparently goes back about a million years.

But this is also making me feel pensive. I've been wanting to sit and journal-write (or blog-write) for a long time, but I've been so busy with work. The thoughts that are coming out here aren't in quite the format I'd planned (not that I'd really planned anything), but here they are. And there will be more to come, I'm sure, the very next time I have a slow, lazy Sunday to myself.

I hope I get another one of these lazy days soon. I have a lot to write about. Notebooks and notebooks and notebooks full.

4 comments:

  1. Reading through old journals is definitely a mind trip. In some ways, it's like peeking through the window at someone, since it's yourself, it's like peering at someone you used to know. It's a weird feeling.

    Wow. You had a lot of hate toward yourself in those journals of yours, didn't you.

    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in absolute awe of your journals. And your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! finally, a serious addict! my respects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! That's amazing! I've journaled since 1998. I wish I had started when I was 10. Great job.
    ...dave

    ReplyDelete