Friday, May 9, 2008

My Editee is an "IPPY" Finalist!

Here's the e-mail I got from author Jan Leitschuh today:

Hey friends!

I just got word today! Please help me celebrate.

My one-and-only book "The Ordinary Adventurer" (Jerelyn Press) is a national semi-finalist for an IPPY Award!


That is, the 12th Annual Independent Publisher Book Awards.

This year's awards announcement event in Los Angeles during BookExpo is set for Friday, May 29th ... [and] the gold, silver and bronze medalists will be chosen from the six "semi-finalists and announced May 21st.

The book made it into the final cut for the "Travel Essay" category. Given the preponderance of university presses (Yale?!), I wasn't anticipating much action.

...

It's been a long, long road, but I'm glad I went ahead and did it.

Yep. You and the rest of us. I did a bit of research and found the following info on past IPPY award winners:

- The Millionaire Next Door, 1997 winner, went on to sell over 2.5 million copies .

- Southern Settings, 1997 cookbook winner, continues to have strong sales today.

- After winning its IPPY award, Fit to Cook: Why "Waist" Time in the Kitchen? had 187,000 copies bought by a major pharmaceutical comopany for a promotional campaign.

- Matthew Sharpe's The Sleeping Father won the Fiction award in 2004 and was a TODAY Show Book Club winner. In addition, it was noted in the New York Times and Publishers Weekly. It's also popular in reading groups.

Wouldn't it be so cool if our own Jan Leitschuh won an IPPY award? She'd get a medal and everything!

2 comments:

  1. Good for Jan. I enjoyed reading it. Great editing by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, thanks, Joan! I think Jan has written a wonderful book and am thrilled that the Independent Publisher folks are taking note of it. They clearly have excellent taste in literature. :)

    ReplyDelete