Monday, November 26, 2007

Random Thoughts You Didn't Ask For

Hello there, little blogfriends out there in the cyber world. I'm reporting live from Cube Heaven, my windowless little three-walled piece of paradise. Oh, I guess I do have windows, if you capitalize the dubya and put "Microsoft" in front of it.

I actually have a few moments of idleness at work today--a rather welcome situation, considering the 50-hour-average workweeks of the past month. So, friends, I'm going to tell you all the random things that have been going on in my mind this week.

Random Thought #1: I'm a big, fat pig. Yes, that sentence has been going through my mind quite a lot lately. It's all the fault of my blue jeans, which are hugging me a bit tighter than usual. Nothing like tight jeans to make one feel like a whale in a wetsuit. Alas, I'm facing up to the reality that Thanksgiving + nibbling on chocolate all day + having a sedentary job = tighter jeans. And I'm running four miles this afternoon. And picking up more happy pills this evening. (I ran out on Saturday.)

Random Thought #2: I think we're going to make an offer on a house, but not on the old farmhouse I wanted (and continue to want). Although the Hubster and I are filthy rich in love, happiness, and cat dander, we are very poor in finances. Actually, we're not doing too bad, but we're not raking in enough to buy and care for a 110-year-old farmhouse, no matter how much charm it has. Oh, well. One of these days. So we're thinking about making an offer on a house I'll call New House. See Random Thought #11, below.

Random Thought #3: Remember piano? I tried to quit, but Deborah wouldn't let me. I'm going to start a new prelude and fugue. I don't know which one yet. I think I'm going to do C-minor from WTC I. It's supposed to be easier (relatively speaking) than the others, and it regularly assigned to students who are really to tackle their first prelude and fugue. This one will be my second. After two years of C#-major, however, I am ready for something a wee bit more manageable.

Random Thought #4: I've also graduated from "Elfe" and the Liszt. What shall I learn next? I'm not sure. I'm thinking about a Schubert impromptu. And the Shostakovich will be a good "intermediate piece" piece. I'm going to wait on starting the Haydn sonata, mainly because I only have a couple of hours a week to practice as it is, and I need more time if I'm going to work on a big piece like the Haydn. (Not that the Bach P&F isn't big ... I've just found that it's just easier to practice Bach in 15- and 20-minute intervals.)

Random Thought #5: Lil Goosey, Lil Goosey, Lil Lee-Lee Lil Goosey, she's the greatest lil ole Hideaway calico cat in the whole wide world. Go, Goosey!

Random Thought #6: Thanksgiving was nice.

Random Thought #7: That half-marathon I was thinking about running on Dec. 8? Not gonna happen. No way, no how. November has been brutal, work-wise, and December won't be much better (though it will be a little better, according to the old-timers in my department). Good runs have been few and far-between.

Random Thought #8: I haven't been to church since the split. It's not that I haven't wanted to go ... OK, so it is that I haven't wanted to go. The reasons have much more to do with general fatigue from long work hours than anything else. Really.

Random Thought #9: I decided to, once and for all, read the whole Bible. I started about a month and a half ago, maybe? I'm in Job. I'm reading from cover to cover and I've made it to Job. I love Job. I'm glad to finally be getting into the more poetical books.

Random Thought #10: Usually when people ask me what I want for Christmas, I say "nothing, really. Really. Nothing." And I mean it. This year I made an online wish list. Sometimes I wish I hadn't because most of it is stuff I don't really need.

Random Thought #11: I have a certain ambivalence about the house we're thinking about making an offer on. It's a very nice house, just a few years old, and has a top-of-the-line kitchen. I think of my 110-year-old farmhouse and think, "Home." I think of the New House and the phrase "inane trappings of modern life" keeps coming into my head. Is a gas-log fireplace an inane trapping? An automatic garage-door opener? A jacuzzi? Am I just being a Luddite wanna-be? Why does this somehow feel wrong? Why does it feel not wrong to buy a 110-year-old farmhouse that costs more money than the New House, and then to spend gobs of money on books? I am a very confused product of American culture.

Is that an oxymoron?

Am I a moron?

Don't answer that.

Random Thought #12: Well, you asked for it. No, you didn't ask for it. You did not request a run-down of my recent ramblings. You did not ask for alliteration, either. Bidding you buh-bye until next time ...

2 comments:

  1. In 1990 we bought an old house near downtown. It was built in the 1920's. It needed a lot of work and required a lot of work. Nothing was level or square. When we did the work ourselves it always got complicated. When we paid someone, it got more expensive. We lived there 7 years then moved because we wanted more land. I loved the house probably because it was our first one. A new baseball stadium was built nearby. Not a plus in my opinion but the house recently sold for over double what we paid for it without much improvements.
    Another note, I'm having unresolved issues with our church. Right now my husband and daughter are the only ones in our famiy attending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I enjoyed that - even if I didn't ask for it. :)

    ReplyDelete