Saturday, October 6, 2007

A Medal! For Little Old Me!

This morning was the Smoky Streak 10K and 5K. I ran the 5K and had a blast. The weather was perfect--low 60s and partly cloudy--and the run was along back roads of the western NC mountains.

As with the last 5K, I had the feeling that the run was more of a "group effort" than a competition; I leapfrogged with two other women for most of the race, and all three of us ran good races because we were pushing the other two.

I finished in 26:46, which is 8:36-minute miles. I'm tempted to shave three more seconds off, since it took me about that long to cross the starting line, but I'm happy with my "official" time. It's definitely a PR for me--nearly a half-minute faster than Thursday's run!

And here's the amazing news: I got second place in the women's 35-39 age division! I got a medal and everything! The naysayer in me notes that there really wasn't a lot of competition to start with (it was a very small local race), but I'm not going to listen to it. Instead, I'm listening to the happy voice that's saying these things:

- A PR is a PR!
- 26:46 is not a shabby time for a not-entirely-flat 5K race. Not a shabby time at all.
- I ran a good race.

Tomorrow's a long run (but shorter than my recent long runs have been), and then I'm taking it easy all week because I have a half-marathon to run next Saturday.

Life is good! (even though I'm at work right now ... after the 5K ... on a beautiful Saturday afternoon ...)

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I am decidedly impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Nina! That's great. It was wonderful to see y'all at Jan's wedding. My mom enjoyed sitting next to you, too.
    -Andye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! You got a metal! Hey, you can't argue with a metal... you have it, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is an incredibly impressive time!


    On a side note: I have only just found that you got your blog back again! I've been checking the piano one to no avail and didn't realise that notebook had been restored. I'm so so pleased to see you back!

    ReplyDelete