Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Wanted: A Moment to Think, & a Moment to Write

Ever feel that way?

Work has been super-busy, particularly this week because I'm having to put in extra hours so I can leave early Friday--we have a piano group class at 4:00 in Asheville, which means I need to leave work no later than 2:00 or so.

Had a 2-hour lesson on Saturday afternoon. Awesome lesson. It wore me out, but it was a great lesson. I honestly think I may be playing better now than I've ever played in my life.

Prelude sounds great. I'll be playing it for the group class. I'm mainly working on speeding it up a bit, though Deborah said it sounds fine at the speed it is (about 76).

Fugue: She raved about how well I played the first two pages. The last four sounded good but not great. "You're not thinking in musical sentences." So I need to work on making the last four pages less of a run-on mess of notes. OK.

Liszt: I'm lingering a bit too much here and there, but for the most part it sounds good. I'm playing it for the group class, too.

Elfe: We worked on this one quite a bit. I'm pretty far along in it, actually. I can play the whole thing through, at a nice (but not fast) pace, in blocked chords. I'm starting to practice the broken chords.

That's all for now. It's 6:30 a.m. and I need to get ready for work!


  1. Thanks for continuing the blog, Waterfall...for the rest of us who read here for pianistic encouragement!

  2. Glad to hear about your piano progress. It's so inspiring to hear :)