Friday, September 21, 2007

A Rest Day

Friday is my rest day, training-wise. TGIF, as they say.

Running was tough this week. My energy level hasn't been as high as I'd like it to be. I'm not sure why. I'm sleeping plenty at night but have trouble waking up in the morning. Which means the novel is getting short shrift.

I still managed to run my miles this week, albeit not all on the usual days: 11 on Sunday, 6.3 on Wednesday, and 6.3 on Thursday. I had to miss Monday's 2-mile interval run, so I ran a slightly longer tempo run on Wednesday and did intervals toward the end.

I'm running 12 tomorrow. I've had to change up my schedule a bit in the past few weeks due to weekend obligations. Long runs are supposed to be on Saturdays. I like doing them on Saturdays. I'm doing tomorrow's long run on Saturday.

Then I have to do my next long run after that on Friday because of weekend festivities on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't know if it's good to space long runs only six days apart. To play it safe, I'm going to make my mid-week runs a little shorter than usual.

I think it'll be good. Of all the types of training sessions (tempo, easy, interval, speed, and long run), long runs are by far the ones I look forward to the most.

But to be honest, I'm not as gung-ho about running as I was this time last year. I guess the novelty has worn off. I have no intentions of quitting (seeing as my physical and mental health are somewhat dependent on it), but it's been hard to drag my butt out to the lake, or the track, or the gym on running days.

I'm glad today's a rest day.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Friday is my day off from swimming, too. When I take one, though. If I feel like I'm coming down with something, I'll go anyway, just because I think if I stop I'll get it real bad.

    I know what you mean about losing the gung ho feeling. I still love swimming, but ... well, sometimes I'm tired of it. Like you, though, I need to do it for my health and I love what it does for me. :)

    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are definitely running parallel. I've been continually waking up late all week, and haven't run OR walked except at random. I NEED THIS and have to get back into the groove, because I know once that I do, I will feel sooo much better.

    ReplyDelete