Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Five Miles

I managed to run five miles on the treadmill today. I felt dead tired when I started and feared it would be another underwhelming experience of "just putting the miles in." But the moment I started running, I knew I would be OK, at least for a couple of miles.

It feels so good to run. I love feeling strong and healthy. I didn't get anything like a "runner's high" feeling today and haven't had one for some time, but it does feel good just to move, particularly after working a sedentary job all the livelong day.

I say I haven't had a "runner's high" feeling in a long time, but I need to add this: After being plagued with ongoing severe depressive episodes for the last 25 years, I can honestly say that, despite quite a few recent "life snags," I haven't experienced a single depressive funk since I started running last year. Only one other time have I gone a significant amount of time without getting significantly depressed: the six months I was thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail back in 2000.

Hubster observed recently that I'm nearly always happy. And I really don't think it's just the drugs, though they certainly help. It's just that I've been on the drugs before and still had the bad mood swings. I think the drugs, combined with running (and eating right) have had a big impact.

So I ran 2.5 miles this evening before I started feeling beat-up. I think the general humidity takes its toll, even though I've been mostly running inside. I took a potty break (you really didn't want to know that, did you?), then got back on the treadmill and felt strong for my final 1.5 miles ... then decided to run a cool-down mile, just because I felt like it. (My training had me running four miles today.)

So I ended up running five miles. Training for the Worldwide Half is going as planned. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. It's really true about running/hiking/(exercise) and its effect on mood.

    "But the moment I started running, I knew I would be OK, at least for a couple of miles" (Yes! Getting started is the thing.)

    ReplyDelete