Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Boundingly Happy

I left for my piano/lunch hour in a subdued kind of mood; I was pretty focused on the finer points of document heading styles for much of the morning, and I had to drag myself away from my cubicle. I'm tired today. I really didn't want to punch out, losing a good hour of work time (thereby having to leave an hour later), just so I could get 30 minutes of practice in on the piano.

I worked mostly on the ending of the fugue. It's tricky, with the left hand's thumb and forefinger crawling over each other while the left hand's pinky holds down a note, and meanwhile the right hand is doing its own thing ... makes me want to yell, "Children, children! One at a time, now!"

So I focused very closely on just a couple of measures for a good 15 minutes. Then I thought, "I'm really tired. I'm just going to shoot through the (C#-major) prelude a couple of times, then call it a day.

Usually it is not a good idea to "shoot through" a piece at the end of a practice session, particularly when one is tired. It probably wasn't a good idea today.

But, oh ... the prelude has begun to gleam. I'm no longer just playing notes. I'm making music. From the first notes to the final majestic chords. "Gleam" is the word that keeps coming to mind. My rendition still isn't perfect (will it ever be?), but I am definitely seeing (hearing) shiny little bits and specks throughout the piece. More than that. It's started to gleam.

So I bounded back to work, opened the door, gave a great big "Hello!" to everyone in sight and am now sitting at my desk, huge smile plastered to my face, ready to get back to work.

Piano lunch hours + job with salary = something I've missed.

2 comments:

  1. I've signed on with a teacher starting in mid August! Since I've decided I want to pursue the piano pedagogy certificate from the National Music Certificate Program (http://www.nationalmusiccertificate.org/), I'm going to take the Grade 10 exam next spring (if I'm ready). So, I'll be forcing myself to carve out some practice time one way or another - probably before the munchkin gets up in the morning. The technical requirements are huge - much more demanding than if I'd taken the scales test as a piano performance major. I'm more worried about that part than anything. The repertoire at that level includes some things I've played before, but not at that difficulty for several years. Finding the time to practice and forcing myself to get started will be the hardest thing - once I'm actually at the piano, I'm happy. Do you still have the practice log going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Boundingly happy" is an excellent state to be in. May you find yourself there freqently!

    ReplyDelete