Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Pockets of Time

Life is good right now because things are fitting into neat little spaces. That's not a common circumstance with me, so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. My job is decidedly not stressful (at least at the moment). I've worked out a schedule to fit everything in. I may not feel like following the schedule at the time, but once I start doing whatever it is I'm supposed to do, I'm glad I did.

Dragging oneself out of bed at 5 a.m. is no small task. Particularly when one is wedged between two cats, as is generally the case these days. But I've been doing it (OK ... 5:20 ... gimme a break). It's also hard to focus on writing a novel at 5:00 5:20 a.m. But it's getting easier because I've begun making it a habit. Of course, this commitment means that I've pretty much had to be in bed by 9:30. Which doesn't always happen, which means I'm tired all day ...

The hour-long commute to work in the morning goes pretty quickly, now that I'm a podcast junkie and never run out of podcasts to listen to.

Work is going well. I'm still not entirely certain what my job is supposed to be, exactly, but I'm having fun doing it, whatever it is. I'm downright comfortable with FrameMaker now, and I've been working on a good template for the internal documentation bits that I write. It doesn't sound that exciting, but it's actually kind of fun.

Lunchtime piano practice sessions are rocking. It's amazing how focused I can be when I'm not within spitting distance of a wireless connection. I've been using my 55-minute lunchtime practices for technique and Bach, and my half-hour nighttime practices for Liszt. I know that doesn't seem like a lot of practice time, but I'm so focused during these sessions, particularly the Bach sessions, that I think I'm getting more done in a shorter span of time than I normally would.

I've become a creature of habit. Because I spend my lunch hour practicing, I eat at my desk before I go. And then at 2:00 I go to a local coffee shop and get myself a cup of joe. Every day. And every day I ask if they have any bagels, and every day they tell me no. One of these days I'll learn.

And then there is the commute home. More podcasts. Have I mentioned that I've become a podcast junkie? I also downloaded the New Testament onto my iPod and am listening to that as well. I just started Luke.

Then I go straight to the gym. Do not pass Go, do not collect anything, just get my newly sedentary butt to the gym. I started training for another half-marathon this week, so I've begun following a relatively set schedule. See my sidebar (and the link to Buckeye Outdoors) for reports of how those workouts are going.

Then I run errands. Then I come home. By now it's 8 p.m. or later. I eat some sort of spinach-wrap concoction, then practice for a half-hour. Then check e-mail, then read for a while, then fall asleep around 11 p.m. Sometimes. I'm having trouble sleeping lately.

So, that's my life these days, and I'm sticking to it. Strict schedules can be good as long as they don't make us crazy.

5 comments:

  1. Your life seems to run quite smoothly these days, Miss Waterfall. :) Schedules and routines are good. I remember when I was teaching a class with lively five years olds (and mostly boys) we got a lot done than I am with one boy (present situation). The difference is … schedule and routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What discipline! It's probably the secret to why the busiest people get the most done in every area of life. Go Waterfall - but stay sane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I love such structure unfortunately everyday is different for me. I have a hard time adjusting and feel guilty I don't accomplish more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schedules, as much as I hate 'em, are a great way to get things done (as you are finding out). Now, if I could just follow one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you still having trouble sleeping? I hope not.

    ReplyDelete