Sunday, May 6, 2007

Bookstore Conversation

CUSTOMER: Have you been selling a lot of The Road by Cormac McCarthy?

WATERFALL: Well, I only work here one day a week, so I'm not sure. But I do know that it's one of the local book-club books.

CUSTOMER: I've heard lots of high praise for it, but it seems to me like it would be a depressing book.

WATERFALL: Yes, that was my impression. I haven't read it, yet. I'm not a big McCarthy fan, to be honest.

CUSTOMER: Well, that's because he makes you work. He makes you think. You can't be a lazy reader with him.

WATERFALL: No, actually, um ... I'm just not a McCarthy fan.

CUSTOMER (walking out after not having bought anything): Yep, you have to be willing to work if you're going to read Cormac McCarthy.

WATERFALL (after customer is out of range): Whatever. (Grumbling to self.)

3 comments:

  1. I think you exercised great self-restraint in the face of excessive provocation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's obvious to me if you're only willing to work at the bookstore ONE DAY A WEEK, you're just not going to be willing to work hard enough to read this book. Why? Your customer probably didn't make this clear, but it's because you have to be willing to WORK if you're going to read Cormac McCarthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, that customer will probably have a fit if I was the one working there. I’m not even willing to work reading magazine’s article. I just look at the pictures. And, even that, must be in color. ;)

    ReplyDelete